High Gain Antennas

** Hi all,

inspired by a series of posts on the subject of antenna gain - I did a little Googling. My quest was to find the highest gain antenna ever uilt - I guessed it might be a large parabolic dish as used by NASA etc. But what is the actual * gain * in dBi ??

There is a famous 305 metre diameter dish in a place called Arecibo in Puerto Rico - it is reckoned to have a gain of * 70dBi * at 2.38 GHz.

The best antennas however are part of the " Deep Space Network" - a worldwide system of steerable parabolic dishes that range from 34 to 70 metres in diameter. These are reckoned to have gains of about * 80dBi * in the 2.4 GHz range.

What's so special about 2.4GHz ?

Scientists discovered several decades ago that this band is the one most used by Aliens for broadcasting pop music across the Galaxy.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

There is a window in the atmosphere at that frequency. A rather usefull property I would say.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Phil Allison wrote: ange.

..and it's good for cooking potatoes.

Reply to
1jam

Only if they're Idaho potatoes, theirs seem to resonate better!

jamie

Reply to
Jamie