Surgical Binocular Loupe

The eyes aren't getting better as I age, I'm up to 4.25 and 5.25 diopters on my contacts. I have been known to put on three pairs of readers, to read numbers on a diode or remove a sliver, etc. For several years I have thought about surgical glasses, I have quizzed my dental technician a few times, and found they are quite expensive. In my pursuit to save a few hundred dollars, I'm looking at these.

They have a focus at about 12 inches and it looks like the inter pupillary distance is adjustable. Anyone have input? Thanks, MikeK

Reply to
amdx

Looks pretty good.

I use the eyepiece from a nice rifle scope as a simple hand held magnifier "loupe". It is always an optical doublet too, so there is always nice edge to edge focus. Unlike single lens 10X loupes where the fringes are quite distorted and one can only see near the center of the lens.

They are like 6 to 8 inch eye relief though. So instead of it being near your eye, it is typically near your work piece.

So, you could use something like that along with your normal eyewear.

Those binocs are nice though. They give a 12" focus and remain near the eye, so having a pair is like getting new eyes all over again.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

I should have mentioned, I have an Optivisor with a 5x lenses with a swing in loupe attached. Focal distance becomes a problem with contacts, readers, optivisor 5x and loupe.

The first link was from India This one is from China, and has a longer focal length 16.5 inches vs 12 inches.

75 grams vs 100 grams Better, worse?

Available state side, 19.5" focus, field of view 3.4" depth of focus 6" The last two specs are not mention on other two Loupes. This is 3 times the price ($190), have specs but look, cheaper... to me.

64 grams vs 75 grams

Thoughts? MikeK

Reply to
amdx

Maybe you can find something suitable at a watchmaker/clockmaker supply house...

Good luck.

John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

Thanks John, But I'm ready to graduate from Optivisors, I have two pair, I think one is over thirty years old. I'm ready for something that allows me to work from at least 12 inches. MikeK

Reply to
amdx

Get a Mantis. It will change your life.

John

Hey John, Thanks for those resistors you sent me. Ahh... if ya got an extra Mantis.....ya got my address :-) MikeK

Reply to
amdx

He doesn't want a microscope. He want free head movement, you dopey ditz.

Are you really that poor at reading comprehension?

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

"TheGlimmerMan" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

No, No, I think he's about to mail it, leave him alone, it's not a microscope, it's just what I want. It has just the right amount of head movement. John your not a dopey ditz, your highly intelligent with a lot of Mantis experience. You know it is just what I need! Phew! hope I corrected that little intrusion. MikeK :-) Oh, and your a good reader too.

Reply to
amdx

USB Scope?

The HD webcams are pretty good, my C910 has a focus distance of 2" to infinity. A gorilla pod may be in order here.

Martin Riddle

It's not your eyes, things are just getting smaller! ;)

In any case, I use a 47x boom scope at my bench for some work. I can count the hairs from any organism running around on the parts!

jamie

Reply to
Jamie

A Mantis isn't a microscope in the regular sense. It's an illuminated viewer with amazing optics. You can move your head around and look around things, just like in real life but closer and clearer. There's plenty of working distance under the optics for x-acto hacking and soldering and such. Great for photography, too.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Mantis3.JPG

John

I'll look under the sofa.

John

Grab the parts out of the high end digital microscope they sell for kids at Fry's.

Plenty enough for this application. They are less than $300 IIRC.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

John Larkin. You are a retard, boy.

I sure hope you didn't spawn anything.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Mine is the "compact" version, changable lenses but no turret, $2k. Being short myself, I find it easier to use than the taller turret units.

John

Two girls, one a PhD biologist and the other one sort of my boss, and two grandbrats so far. How about you?

John

I just don't like working 2-D off a screen. True optical stereo vision is much better when you're actually working on things, soldering and probing and such.

John

Biologist? Wasn't it you that said psych major?

What did she say about that nasty ooze coming out of your ears?

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

That's right John, I would never expect you to send me the 11k Mantis. That would be greedy on my part. MikeK PS. Does anyone think theglimmerman has a glimmer of humor about life? Do you think he's Australian?

Reply to
amdx