What is this goo?

I'm working on fixing the control module for my hot tub, it's potted in a squishy transparent goo which is a real pain to clean off, anyone know exactly what it is and what the best way to wash it off is? I know what it's purpose is but it's not like any I've seen.

Reply to
James Sweet

Could be silicone rubber like TSE399-C Clear.

Ross Herbert

Here's a UK manufacturer's list of encapsulation products

Ross Herbert

Possibly its a silicone grease - that never sets up, just stays gooey forever. Western Electric used to pot the networks for 500 series telephones in such stuff. Water can't touch it. If you get it on your fingers about the only way to get it off is keep wiping.....but whatever you wipe it on will be gooed up forever. Its great for waterproofing anything.

--Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

you

anything.

It's a little more jelly like than the silicone grease I've encountered in telephone splices, similar feel though. The look and feel is almost exactly like one of those jelly candles except it goos up everything. I finally got most of it out, rubbing alcohol didn't disolve it but did keep it from sticking so I was able to scrub it off.

Soldered in a ton of jumpers to fix where the through hole plating on the unusually thick double sided board had failed and the unit is fully working now, I'll probably pot it in parafin instead this time so I can get it apart without making such a mess if it acts up again.

Reply to
James Sweet