What Glue is Used on Black Tape?

Does anybody know what kind of adheasive is used on the back of ordinary black electrical tape? Most Google searches just say "rubber adheasive", but when you Google that, you get all kinds of hits for products intended to glue rubber together. What I'm looking for is the name of the glue (or whatever it is) that is used on the sticky side of ordinary black vinyl electrical tape. (I realize there may be more than one type out there...)

Anybody know?

Thanks!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Well, the MSDS that I find show it as a 'trade secret.' Try contacting, say, the public relations department at 3M. If you can convince them you're on the up & up, and you sign the non-disclosure agreement, they may let you in on the secret...

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Which brand? Cheap chinese stuff has cheap chinese glue. Good American stuff has better glue. But all is basically rubber cement.

Now why do you want to know? Perhaps there are better ways to do it...

Reply to
PeterD

A secret? :

Dennis

Or just give some money to this Taiwanese guy and he'll share the formulae with you, based on his past (criminal) record:-

"Ten Hong (Victor) Lee", erstwhile senior research engineer at Avery Dennison (Concord OH).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

rubber cement?

Reply to
Jamie

I'd like to find out what that transparent goo is that they use to glue stuff like cards or manuals or stuff inside packaging. It's hard to describe - it's very rubbery - I think of "hot glue" that turns into a form of rubber much like RTV, but stays sticky.

On electrical tape, I have no clue, but I'd think it's probably not plain ol' rubber cement, because that would dry out.

Speaking of tape, what did they use on that old-time stuff they called "friction tape?" I wouldn't be surprised if that stuff was tar. ;-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Shirley, you jest. ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yeah, me too. Looks like hot melt but its stretchy. Grab and end and it stretches and pulls off. It seems to grip well but pull off without leaving a residue.

Reply to
Dennis

Friction tape and standard electrical tape used the same adhesive.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Go to the grocery store stationary isle the tape you want is the 3M "VHB" tape. $2 or $3 a roll.

It isn't tape. It is pure adhesive.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Leslie Nielsen died today at age 84. Great actor.

You should all watch "The Forbidden Planet" tonight in his honor.

You ruined the joke. You write "Surely, you jest."

It is up to the respondent to get the queue.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

You mean Artificial Snot? It's called "tipping glue" in the printing and packaging trade.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

:

I know what you're talking about but don't know the name. I do however recall reading the name in the US Postal Regulations Manual. It's a beast to navigate, but I'm sure it's in there. Available for free download.

Reply to
mpm

If you check the 3M website's electrical tape info, there are three adhesive systems loosely described:

Rubber Acrylic Silicone

It's important for designers to know this when trying to establish material compatability in an insulation system - though a listed system inevitably requires demonstrated performance.

Rubber is used in lower temperature applications.

All are a mucilage of solvent, binder and filler, applied in various degrees of cure or activation, to prepared surfaces of the insulating media. Some forms only achieve their final final specified characteristics after being processed by the end-user.

For other applications, there are other adhesives, including some that also are formed on-site or in their end-use.

RL

Reply to
legg