Video Projector Bulb

I have an Optoma EP 731 DMD video projector that died. The bulb doesn't light. How do I test the bulb? An ohmeter across the leads reads infinity. Is this normal? Thanks. Slim

Reply to
Slim

It is open (burned out).

Reply to
Charles Schuler

The lamp is high intensity discharge device and should normally read an open circuit. You can check the lamp only on a known working ballast. Does the projector have any diagnositcs? Most have an indicator to show when the lamp fails.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 27847 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Depends on the bulb. If this is a discharge lamp as modern projectors use then yes, it will read open circuit until you get a few thousand volts to ionize the gas. If it's a very old projector with a tungsten lamp then it should read close to zero ohms cold.

Reply to
James Sweet

Are you sure? It seems to be a halogen or metal halide type.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Also note that for a halogen or HID lamp, if you touched the glass with your fingers, it must be cleaned with alcohol or acetone before powering it. Finger oils absorb UV and etch glass. It will explode in short order.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Metal halide = HID = high intensity discharge, this is *not* the same as tungsten halogen which is just a fancy incandescent lamp. Two completely different principals of operation. They both are made of quartz and contain halide salts as part of the gas fill but that's where the similarities end.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks for the info. Still learning!

Reply to