How to determine what voltage 20-watt halogen bulb I should use in a modified projector?

I want to replace the lamp in a projector with a halogen bulb of a given wattage. I realize the mounting is going to have to be customized, but as far as the voltage, would I simply need to find one that's rated at the same voltage as the original projector bulb?

All input appreciated.

Reply to
HiC

Why? What do you expect to gain?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Save money, would be my guess ... check the price of projector lamps! Ouch!

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Ouch!

While projector lamps can be pricey, that's not why. I need a lower wattage light source for creating an "aerial" image using a condenser lens to capture film. A regular projector bulb is way too bright, would completely overwhelm the camera optics.

Reply to
HiC

Then you can select the watt rating that you need at the same voltage.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Is this a slide projector or a video projector? One way would be to 'bounce' the image off one or two pieces of glass which will bring the brightness down considerably.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson