How to power a halogen bulb?

I asked in another thread about a halogen bulb to light a projector. A particular DIY project site shows the use of a 12v 20w halogen bulb, presumably because that's what the projector they have puts out to the lamp socket. However apparently mine, which is uses 21V bulbs and I find that when I test the socket, it actually shows about 24V.

The idea is to splice the halogen bulb on its own mouting into the wires for the projector's lamp. However, I assume I can't run a 12v bulb on a 24v source, if I can't find a 21v (or 24v?) 20-watt bulb, how would I go about rigging (or finding) an independent 12v (or whatever voltage) power supply for the halogen bulb?

Thanks

Reply to
HiC

"HiC" schreef in bericht news:1NfXg.8058$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Your story is confusing. As for the question, it can be answered straight forward: Every 12V/20W halagen transformer can be used to power a 12V/20W halogen bulb. But... Every halogen bulb is not a projector bulb. Bulbs for slide projectors have a special construction and you will get a disturbed picture when you use an ordinary halogen instead. If you're talking about another projector so *what* projector? Where can we find the site you're talking about? What do you really want to achive?

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

21 under load. It'd have a very short life at 24.
24 should be available.

Don't screw with the power supply.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

HiC

message

Look about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Reply to
HiC

You can get big 12V power packs for LV garden lights and halogen track lighting is popular now, small switchmode converters are available to run 12V halogen lamps, just don't try running non-resistive loads off them, they put out a nasty waveform which only appears to be 12V to an incandescent lamp.

Reply to
James Sweet

I have a tabletop folding screen I bought 30 years ago - about 8" * 10". My plan is to project on that and use a camcorder to capture the film to video.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Can you give a link to something like what you're talking about so I have a better idea what to look for?

Reply to
HiC

Just go to Home Depot, look in the garden lighting section or the track lighting section. You probably want something like this

James Sweet

have a

Interesting.

Something like this would power one of these 12v 20w halogen mini-bulbs?

Reply to
HiC

Yes, that's exactly what they're designed for.

Reply to
James Sweet