VCM driver

I have a light engine assembly from a Samsung DLP rear projector left over from a repair. It's the assembly that the MMD bolts to. It has a light pipe, which I understand, a hole for the MMD which, tho it amazes me, I understand, two lenses, and a mirror, all of which I understand.

But what I don't get is this electronic gadget attached to the back of the mirror. At first I thought it was a temperature sensor, but recently when I got a chance to inspect it more closely I see that it is marked "VCM driver - Hysonic," search terms which dig up all kinds of interesting things. What function does this thing serve in a TV? Is this some kind of anti-aliasing technology like the lens vibrator in a digital camera? Just curious.

Reply to
stickyfox

More info.. No takers so I took it apart. It looks like there's a high- power op amp chip connected to a voice coil, but the mirror does not seem to move easily in the mount. Maybe just rock back and forth by the tiniest bit.

Anybody know what purpose it serves in a tv?

Reply to
stickyfox

I know this post is 10 years old, but I found somewhere that it reduces "mechanical ringing" to help optimize the focus. I came across this chip in a teardown and wondered similarly what it's purpose was.

Reply to
procersapientiae