Ping Arfa and others Educate Me Please

Not knowing much about rear projection TV sets (retired from that tangent of the service industry before they were popular) but sucessfully repairing my own Panasonic 7 yr old PT51xxxxxxx (STK's, low value resistors), I don't understand why this set when played via the Component input "Y/Pb/Pr" the convergence is flawless while any other source the convergence still needs tweaking as truly it still does to the far left.

Just curious as to why this is.

Also but not pertaining to rear projection crt sets but to DLP sets, how does the color wheel interact to the light source and the rest of the video path? Not planning to service these, just curious again.

Thanks

Reply to
Meat Plow

This might help a bit:

Charles Schuler

Sorry, not my field of expertise really. Others on here much better qualified to put you on the right path.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 01:24:40 +0000, Arfa Daily Has Frothed:

LOL the convergence question or both? Don't you find it curious that the dynamic setup of convergence has no effect when the component input is used?

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Hi Meat

Both really. I stopped being directly involved with TV sets, other than watching the half-arsed programmes that they put out now, some years back. I try to keep up with the theoreticals of the latest technology, but these days, from a practical point of view, I even get confused with SCART hook-ups ... !!

I can't really see any reason though, why edge convergence should be any different between sources. I could see an issue perhaps with different scan rates, progressive or interlaced drive, or possibly even aspect ratio, but nothing springs to mind for just plain different sources. Is it definitely a convergence error ? Could it be a timing mis-registration between the red and blue drives, or in the green de-matrixing ? Or even perhaps some kind of

*ring* on one or other, giving rise to a coloured shadow ? Have you tried different source equipment into that input, or a different cable maybe ?

You're right. You've got me interested now. As I said, I'm sure others on here who are working with this kit every day, are far better placed to give valid input than me, so come on lads, let's have some ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:51:50 +0000, Arfa Daily Has Frothed:

It's the convergence. But just on the left side and the worst on the last

6 inches of a 51 inch screen. I replaced both STK devices after one failed. The picture is well converged other than what I described. And it's the same for the catv and both video inputs. But when viewing my dvd player through the component input the convergence is perfect all over. It's as if normal convergence is bypassed and controlled by the component input signals but that doesn't sound right to me.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Hmmm. Me neither. Come on. There must be someone out there with a valid - or even any kind - of opinion on or insight into this bizarre situation ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Some crt projection sets had different convergence set ups for the type of signal that is sent to them. The Pioneer Elites come to mind. You need to get into the service menu and also having the service manual for your set would be very helpful. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 18:33:36 +0000, Chuck Has Frothed:

Well that makes some sense. What I've done is placed my Lite On LVW 5005 DVD recorder in the output path of my sat receiver. The Lite On has component output which I feed into the TV eliminating the need to converge it for now. This also enables me to hard copy stuff off the DVR onto DVD.\

Thanks for the reply.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow