UPS: "Do not connect laser printer..."

But the end result is still a bubble of ink.

Reply to
Meat Plow

caution

First Laserjet printer I owned was a 4+. Snagged it from a client who was going to dumpster it after I installed a LJ 6p. The 4 had a high print count maybe upawards of 50k but after a good cleaning including inside the laser assembly prism and spreader lens it worked perfect and I've been using it for 7 years now :)

Reply to
Meat Plow

No. The piezo heads send droplets, not bubbles.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

The original HP inkjet printer was called a Thinkjet -- thermal inkjet.

I don't know what system HP currently uses.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I guess one should never assume that a product name is a non sequitur invented by some marketing droid; I never thought to parse 'Thinkjet' as you did ;)

I still bristle at names like 'Verizon' and 'Vonage', both of which I pronounced incorrectly until I heard salesfolk using them (Verizon like the the river Amazon or the modeling school Barbizon, with the accent on the first syllable and Vonage with the accent on the second syllable and a soft 'g' ala 'bon voyage'). It still amazes me to hear some people pronouncing 'daemon' as 'daymon' and 'Debian' as 'day bee an' -- Debian is a concatenation of 'Deb and Ian'.

Michael

Michael

Reply to
msg

So an HP head shoots drops of ink instead of bubbles. Got it.

Reply to
Meat Plow

They both shoot out drops of ink, but one of them does it by by creating bubbles inside the ink, and the other just squeezes the ink.

Shooting out bubbles would be interesting... Bubble-gum printer, anyone?

--
Greg
Reply to

No, a droplet.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

caution

The older engines are by far the best. I've seen Canon SX engine printers (eg; the HP Series 2) still going strong at half a million prints. Dust 'em out every now & then, scrub the rollers with acetone every couple of years, & they last forever. I heard of one unit (in a police department) that was still going strong at 1.5 million prints. The MX engines are pretty good too, but the SX engine is still the king.

   \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

More precisely... A picoliter sized droplet.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

A bubble-like droplet.

Reply to
Meat Plow

The bubble is what forms on the heating element, pushing the ink droplet out of the nozzle.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Well the result is the same. A jet of ink whether it is ousted by a buzzing piezo or heating device. I don't think the two are as dissimilar as night and day on a molecular level.

Reply to
Meat Plow

IN a bubble jet.

IN an InkJet are you sure the same mechanisms are utilized?

Reply to
Son of a Sea Cook

The original inkjet printer -- which dates back more than 40 years -- mechanically squirted a stream of droplets at the paper, deflecting the unused droplets electrostatically for recycling. The thermal inkjet was based on the discovery that heating the end of a tube containing ink would boil the ink and cause a drop to squirt out. This "on-demand" system made cheap inkjet printers possible.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

would

made

I remember seeing a photograph of the electrostatically steered print head and read the technical article. That was a long time ago, I think that IBM built it, or that may be wishful thinking on my part.

Reply to
JosephKK

The term 'bubble jet' however, is no more than a mere copyrighted process name tag, just like "Teflon' is or "Kotex".

Reply to
BigBalls

However, a DROPLET of ink is what hits the paper, not a "bubble of ink" as was stated.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Correct.

Nope.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

me

grump,

?

A blunt is a joint made using the outer covering of a cheap cigar, like a Phillie. In fact Phillie makes a cigar named the "Blunt." So that's how blunts got their name. Split the cigar open and dump the contents, fill with your favorite intoxicating herb, and roll it up like the traditional Jamaican cornshuck splif. That's how blunts got started -- Jamaican immigrants to major northern conurbations like NYC could find Phillies Blunts a lot more easily than they could find cornshucks. Old-fashion corner delis, candy stores and newsstands in New York City still sell Phillies as they always have. Most Phillies probably go into making blunts, now, but some people still smoke them despite that Phillies are the nastiest cigars made.

Reply to
gearhead