TV will turn on only after being unplugged for a while

My TV stopped working so I thought the power strip might be bad. I plugged it into the wall directly and it worked fine for 2 weeks. Then

it died again. Unplugging it and plugging it back in helped it work for another few days. The last time it only would fire up after being unplugged for several hours and it only stayed on for a minute. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem. Please help.

Reply to
The Bug

Well If you expect info on this TV best give Make / Model and any diagnosis you have done so far .

kip

Reply to
kip

Sorry. You are right. The television is a Zenith C27A24T. I've done a lot of computer repair but little TV work so I have not done any diagnosis so far. I was hoping someone could tell me if this were likely to be a simple, inexpensive fix or if I'd be better off buying a new one. If the fix were likely a simple one, I'd educate myself on how to do it safely. Thanks.

Reply to
The Bug

There are most likely some components failing in the power supply, or the scan areas. Eventually the set will not start up at all.

If you are not experienced and equipped for TV servicing, it would be best for you to take the set in for an estimate. From that, you can make a logical decision if the set is worth it for you to have it serviced.

--

JANA _____

it died again. Unplugging it and plugging it back in helped it work for another few days. The last time it only would fire up after being unplugged for several hours and it only stayed on for a minute. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem. Please help.

Reply to
JANA

Well it is you who has the Tv in front of ye. Do some diagnostics and return here with your findings.

Reply to
kip

Well it is you who has the TV in front of ye. Do some diagnostics and return here with your findings. Dry joints bad filter caps etc..

Reply to
kip

So how long will it run before you must plug it in again?

Reply to
Don Bowey

"The Bug" bravely wrote to "All" (09 Feb 06 09:44:20) --- on the heady topic of "TV will turn on only after being unplugged for a = while"

TB> From: "The Bug" TB> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:357881

TB> My TV stopped working so [,,,] TB> Please help.

Brand and model # would help some of the pro's here, Bug!

A*s*i*m*o*v

... Well I defragged my TV and went all the way back to basic cable!

Reply to
Asimov

This really sounds like a cold/cracked solder joint to me. Something you could check for pretty easily and not require a schematic.

Good luck with it.

Reply to
Mr. Land

Or a dried up electrolytic capacitor in the power supply.

Reply to
James Sweet

Toward the end it would only stay on for a minute or so. Afterward it would have to be unplugged for several hours before it would turn on again. Then it would die in a another minute.

Reply to
The Bug

It is a Zenith C27A24T Thanks.

Reply to