Battery for tablet

The battery's gone wonky on my tablet. It takes a 3000 mah. If I was able to get a battery, like maybe, a 6000 mah, would it charge correctly, or would I need to go back with the same type battery?

There is plenty of room for a larger size battery, longer, wider, and even thicker. It would be easy enough to measure, I just forgot to when I had the case open.

Is there a web site where I could get a new battery?

--
:-)
Don't let the Zombies get you!!!!

Just guessing - but its probably not unlike a laptop battery, in which case almost certainly lithium.

Do not mess with lithium cells unless you know what you're doing!

Particularly multiple cells. They require a charge balancing system - if any one cell gets over charged, it can go exothermic with a fairly entertaining end of life performance.

Reply to
Ian Field

That could be interesting.

The battery is flat, appx 5mm thick, 60 mm wide & 80 mm long.

I might open it again soon & get exact measurements. It would be easy to replace, if I knew where to get a battery.

--
 :-)
Don't let the Zombies get you!!!!

If its an actual flat cell in a heavy duty PVC pouch - they just flame - the steel cased cylindrical type have safety vents, but I'm guessing these get clogged with debris as the electrodes disintegrate. A youtube clip shows someone deliberately shorting a cylindrical cell - several long boring minutes of fizzing rather tamely culminated in the cell going off like a firecracker. There was a small shower of sparks that could easily be a fire risk, the steel case ruptured so if you're holding it you'd get lacerations, the caustic burns would be a serious complication to healing.

Reply to
Ian Field

There's a place in China that will sell me 1000 batteries, but not one by it's self.

--
 :-)
Don't let the Zombies get you!!!!

I just checked EBAY and they have some there.

--
 :-)
Don't let the Zombies get you!!!!

Yesterday I scored a pack of 6x 18650 from the recycling bin at the supermarket.

The previous haul was marked "Made in China" and had no laptop brand printed on it - my main requirement is for e-cigarette batteries, I might designate the Chinese cells for an application I don't hold near my face when I press the button!

Reply to
Ian Field

Chinese make cheap crap. Last night I tried to unplug a Chinese made adapter from the wall, it fell apart and I was almost electrocuted with 110 volts.

Some day I'm going to take time to look around trash bins at the supermarket. I've heard good things can be found.

--
 :-)
Don't let the Zombies get you!!!!

Some laptop batteries are intelligent and won't charge unless conditions are met, won't overcharge, etc.

It may not be possible just to put any battery into a tablet, I dunno.

Reply to
Tim R

Oh well.. The battery I ordered was inexpensive enough it won't matter, and I'm ready to buy a new tablet, if it doesn't work.

--
 :-)
Don't let the Zombies get you!!!!

Most of the cells I've rescued for my E-cigarette seem to work just fine.

IMO; the 'intelligent' bit may often be a bit over zeallous.

Reply to
Ian Field

We have an old Mac laptop with a missing charger.

I thought maybe I could remove the battery and charge it directly. There is not just + and GND on that battery, there are a lot of terminals and apparently a processor.

Reply to
Tim R

Multiple cell packs have sophisticated charge balancing circuitry - not all cells are created equal, and the one that gets overcharged first goes exothermic with fairly entertaining results.

You'd probably have to charge each cell individually - you could salvage the end of charge shut off capsule from an e-cig and use a USB charger.

AFAICR: Most laptop chargers are 19V - you just need the right power jack with the right centre pin polarity.

In the UK; I bought a universal laptop brick from Maplin (rip-off!) it has a switch to select several voltages, and a rubber strip with an assortment of changeable power jacks pressed into it.

Even at Maplin rip-off prices, it was probably a lot cheaper than most genuine replacements.

Reply to
Ian Field

Yeah, the battery and charge circuitry is smart, which means it's a mess to tamper with. The 'missing charger', on the other hand, is just a voltage source, you can get replacements cheap, compared to a battery replacement price.

Reply to
whit3rd

There are only two wires on this tablet battery. When the solder broke where the charger plugs in, before I soldered it, I charged the battery directly, which might have been what caused the battery to go wonky, although it never worked really great from the beginning.

I always had to let the battery get down below 20% before plugging in the charger, to keep it working good, and if I unplugged it before it was fully charged it started having problems.

--
:-)
Don't let the Zombies get you!!!!

How old is this thing? "Memory" issues on rechargeable batteries, to whatever extent they existed, were solved decades ago.

Reply to
Tim R

There's a specific end point voltage per cell that you shouldn't discharge below, overcharging can also shorten cell life (sometimes very abruptly!).

AFAIK: there is no memory effect associated with any lithium cells.

Apparently some manufacturers make chips with a constant power charging mode - over discharged cells need to be coaxed up gently to a normal state before piling on the normal charge rate.

Reply to
Ian Field

I bought it three years ago.

Except for the battery problems I've been happy with it.

--
 :-)
Don't let the Zombies get you!!!!