this can't be right...

Our office just recently acquired a black and white television. While I think TV Sucks and the internet is better, my co workers are all jazzed. Here's the problem, when it's not tuned to a channel, the picutre (snow) is normal, but when you tune it in to a channel the picture shrinks vertically. Does it mean a knob needs to be adjusted somewhere? The outside of the set is in perfect condition, the antenna ain't even broken. Can it be fixed if it needs to be fixed, or is it to the firing squaud?

Reply to
Erich J. Schultheis

Bad capacitor(s) in the vertical circuit. Probably not worth paying to fix - sometimes a knowlegeable DIY type person can fix it, armed with this general info.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

So what country would this be in ... ??

I can't imagine anyone in the civilized world getting " jazzed " about having a black and white TV available to use - particularly one that didn't work right ...

Seriously though, it's exactly right that the vertical scan shrinks when the vertical timebase is locked. The trick is, however, that it should not shrink to the point where it is noticable on the picture. It's probably doing this as a result of age on various components, and it should be easy to compensate for, by adjust ing the height ( vertical size ) control, which it's sure to have, being an old technology item ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

It's there only until my co-piece-of-shit-workers get their precious HDTV. After that, they say, they will bash up the balck and white television.

Reply to
Erich J. Schultheis

Yep ! I guess that'll sort all its problems then ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Hi!

didn't

Hmmm...I guess it depends upon your circumstances. I usually collect B&W TV sets at garage sales for next to nothing and use them until they blow up. They can be handy to have around.

I've got a little black and white RCA set that isn't too bad after a little cleaning up. One night around this past summer, a nasty storm blew up in town. This in turn blew down a large number of trees, including a rather large one in my side yard. Of course the power went out...for at least that night and possibly most of the next day or two.

So I hooked up an inverter in my truck, put the TV on the tailgate and used it that night to watch the local news. To my amazement it didn't mind being run from an inverter...I saw very little if any noise in the picture or sound. Long story short quite a few people came over to see the weather that night...

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Hmm...you might talk them into selling it at a garage sale, flea market, hamfest or something similar. Or give it away to a local church or charity. At a garage sale of some kind you might get $5 or $10 for it. Someone without the means to buy a TV almost might really like to have *any* TV set.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I did the same thing during Katrina.(New Orleans) Our power went out around 3am the monday of the hurricane and I hauled out one of the small 5inch portable tv's I had and ran it off one of the car batteries I had charged up.(I'd been charging several of the car batteries I had the day prior for emergency power.) As a result I had tv and radio for the following two weeks when the local utilities were out.

Reply to
none