Semi-OT: black and white thinking

Heaviside, Tesla, Steinmetz, Armstrong: good

Edison, DeForest, Marconi, Sarnoff: slimy two-bit hustlers.

Probably why America remembers the latter list better.

--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

The public had heard of Tesla and Edison; few people will recognize the rest.

 Click to see the full signature

Steinmetz destroyed Tesla! :) Tesla was "disappeared" from history when extensive engineering texts on his invention were published, but without me ntioning Tesla at all. With Steinmetz' books, this might have been under o rders from above, since GE probably didn't want to associate their motor pr oducts with crazy loser pigeon-men with questionable sexual leanings. Edis on was a *proper* corporate mascot, "beloved inventor."

Analogy: writing extensive analyses of carbonized-celluloid and carbonized

-bamboo incandescent bulbs, but with no mention of Edison anywhere. And if someone says "Edison bulb," nobody knows what that means.

Today we don't say "Tesla Polyphase" or "Tesla Induction Motors," just "thr ee-phase" and "AC motors." Well, maybe a "Westinghouse motor" might be re cognizable as meaning Induction Motor. After all, Induction motors and mu lti-phase power distribution were invented by some obscure corporate commit tee, right? A team of faceless corporate engineers, at GE?

:)

Reply to
Bill Beaty

Marconi was a big company in the UK for about a century - which is ROW data. Where you type Zetex now, you would have typed Marconi a decade or so ago.

Tesla has had his name appropriated by the electric car company, which should do wonders for his name recognition.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

How about Cy Elwell?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Anyone involved in electric motors is going to be aware of Tesla - teslas may not be as well-known as watts, ohms or coulombs, but having your own SI unit is a good way to keep your name alive.

(I've never heard of Steinmetz or Sarnoff.)

Reply to
David Brown

You're a sick puppy. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Probably a "sexual deviant" as well. But it was a borderline troll post anyway. The point was really that most people aren't all one thing or the other. Sarnoff and Edison were excellent businessmen, though I don't agree with all their methods. Tesla was an odd, tortured genius who had a bunch of wrong ideas among the good ones. He said on several occasions that he enjoyed tinkering with electronics far more than romantic relationships with women, which in my professional opinion is crazy talk.

Edison seemed to get a kick out of electrocuting animals. Maybe it was just a different time, but that sounds pretty sick to me. Poor Topsy. Topsy deserved better from humans.

--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bitrex

Cy Elwell, anybody?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Tesla was truly nuts. A genius too of course.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr