Tektronix 2465 dim traces and no vertical movement

Hi,

I got a used Tektronix 2465 oscilloscope with some problems and I was hoping if anyone has suggestions in how to fix it. I would rather fix it rather than sell it for parts.

It powers up fine but the display is very dim, and it becomes dimmer as the time passes. I have to turn the lights off to see it. Adjusting the intensity has no effect, it doesn't become brighter or dimmer, however, pressing the beam finder brightens the display a bit. Readout intensity has no effect, but I see 2 bright spots in the beam, I assume they are readouts. Their intensity is fixed regardless of any adjustment.

The scope also has no vertical movement. I could see the trace as a horizontal line in the center, and it responds to the horizontal position knob, as a normal scope would, but it doesn't go up and down when I adjust the vertical position. I already read in the newsgroup archives about the problems with the horizontal output IC, U800, but this scope seems to have a working one. It's part number TEK 155-0241-02.

Finally, I have only the operations manual, but not the service manual. Does anybody have the service manual in PDF format? My email can handle up to

6.67 MB attachments. You can email it to n18 AT cox.net

I already have the 2465B service manual, but it's not the same. Downloaded from here(See Tek):

Thank you

Reply to
Someone

I checked further and I have noticed missing chips on the board. Are these optional?

U400 155-0236-XX CH SWITCH U600 155-0237-XX VERT OUT U950 155-0242-XX Z AXIS

These look like PLCC sockets.

Reply to
Someone

"Someone" wrote in news:f8wGe.21341$Eo.1465@fed1read04:

Bad news;you have bought a cannabalized scope,and those TEK-made ICs(hybrid IC's) are no longer available from TEK(the sole source for them). There are NO substitutes for them. And the sockets are TEK-specific,not standard PLCC.

Your only recourse is to buy another "parts scope" and use the ICs from that one to replace the missing IC's. There's a small chance that some folks are selling parts from 2400 series they are cannabalizing themselves. Ebay might turn up some.

-- Jim Yanik jyanik at kua.net

-- Jim Yanik jyanik at kua.net

Reply to
Jim Yanik