Batteries die in remote

Sony remote for a Wega TV will not work unless I open the lid and twist the battery a couple of times. I also clean the battery and remote contact surfaces with a q-tip and nail polish without much reliability. What are some ways that I can do to improve its reliability?

Thanks

Reply to
Sam Nickaby

It sounds like there is a cold solder connection in the remote, or there is a crack in the circuit board, thus making a trace opened. It is also possible that a component inside is mechanically damaged.

You can open the remote, and see if there is anything you can find. Pay particular attention to the soldering of the battery contacts. In some remotes, the contacts are mechanically sitting on the board, and are not soldered. In this case, the surfaces must be clean.

The remote you have was not intended to be serviceable. You will have to make sure you remove all the screws to open it. There may be one hidden under the label. Along the seam where the case-shells fit together, there are some interlocking taps. You will have to use a fine tool to release these carefully without damaging the case.

If the remote is not repairable, you can order one from Sony parts. A universal one will not do all the menu functions for your Sony set.

--
JANA
_____

There might be poor mechanical (or badly soldered) inside possibly where the battery connections attach to the printed circuit board. The best way to check is to spring open the plastic case carefully with a small dinner knife ( fewer sharp edges than stanley knife) and check inside. This has to be done very carefully with the minimum amount of pressure ,or the plastic tabs will break off. I would use an ink rubber (slightly abrasive) to clean the contacts ,and battery ends rather than cotton buds

Reply to
Andy

Nail polish? I hope you're kidding...

Reply to
JW

Maybe he meant nail polish remover.

Reply to
Mikey

I suspect that was meant to be "nail polish remover"...

--
Adam Sampson
Reply to

"Sam Nickaby" wrote in news:k2qGe.1605$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

Nail "polish" is not a polish,but an insulative coating.A lacquer.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Yanik

Mikey wrote in news:42EA4CF8.7F895C36@Not_There_Either.nope:

That stuff contains more than just acetone. It has oils to prevent harm to one's nails. It probably leaves a nasty film of gunk.

You want acetone,go to the hardware store and buy straight acetone,not nail polish remover.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Yanik

If the pip on the + end of the battery pokes through a plastic slot it may be only just making contact if recessed in the slot

N Cook

Yeah, some battery positive terminals (and the positive end of the battery itself, which might have an effect) are slightly different than others...some shorter, some fatter...both of which might affect positive (pun intended) contact.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Reply to
Jim Gregory

In addition to all of the above I've found that some Sony remotes use a spiral wound wire for the poslitive contact. This can be indented slightly if the remote is dropped. A penknife point inserted at the center of the spiral will pull the spiral flat or slightly convex. This will improve the contact. BTW the old nailpolish remover was acetone which will damage most plastics. Haven't tested the newer ones. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

"Jim Gregory" wrote in news:l5vGe.6789$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-win.ntli.net:

Once coated with lacquer(nail polish),"surgical spirit"(95% ethyl alcohol,I believe) will have no effect. Acetone is readily available from Wal- Mart,and other home improvement stores like Home Depot and Lowes,hardware stores. Also,denatured alcohol is available from them.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik