Technics SL-1350 tonearm does not drop vertically.

This Technics SL-1350 had a misadjusted set down point and needed some damping fluid. The arm now has a slow and smooth descent but the anti-skate force is pulling it outward as the arm is slowly lowered. I've cleaned the arm lifter but the tonearm occasionally still will pull to the right as the arm drops. Sometimes, it misses the lead in groove and record completely. Since the customer likes to stack his records for convenience sake, the lift arm height cannot be lowered too much. The tonearm lift is no longer available, part number SFPRT13003K. Anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

I'm confused.

While the arm is being lowered, it should be in contact (somewhere, above- or below-deck) with the lifting mechanism, right? Should there not be sufficient friction between the arm and the lifter to keep the anti-skating force from moving the arm?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Yes, that is the crux of the problem. The rubber portion of the arm lifter which contacts the tone arm seems to have lost its grip. There isn't enough frictional force to counteract the anti-skating force.

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

A thin piece of rubber such as from a balloon maybe, superglued to the underside of the tonearm above the lifter ?? A very slight 'dent' filed into the lifter perhaps ??

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

ve-

Sometimes a rubber item can be rejuvenated with ... brake fluid. The stuff in your auto brake lines is intended to keep the rubber seals all flexible. A few cotton swabs and a few drops of brake fluid might be useful. Give it a few hours to 'soak in' then re-apply. It's a glycerine-based product, wipes up with a damp cloth.

Reply to
whit3rd

There are also rubber rejuvenators, but that might be too much trouble for this particular problem.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

We used to use a product called Fedron to rejuvenate the lift rubber. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Seconded. It works well.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

It's a delicate instrument... I'd suggest hitting it with a big hammer.

BTW records are dead, get with the times and buy some CDs and DVDs or should I say blu rays.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

Idiot. They are still releasing new LPs and pressing them. They are still manufacturing turntables, as well.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not so. Records are still big business and much sought after, and decent phono decks sell for staggering amounts of money ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

On 9/27/2010 6:10 PM Michael A. Terrell spake thus:

And since he seems not to have noticed, CD sales are in the toilet. And the new hot release format seems to be LP + download.

David Nebenzahl

Try to find a R-R tape recorder, or even a cart machine in a radio station these days. OTOH, some still play 78s and Transcription disks from the '30s & '40s. Spots, tags, jingles and commercials are stored on a hard drive these days, but you still find turntables in studios. WSM in Nashville is on station that plays old records.

BTW, 'The Grand Ole Opry' will return to the Opry House on the 27th. It was badly damaged in the flood earlier this year. They haven't said anything about when their studios will be moved back from the tower site.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I tried a liquid called Rubber Renue. It seems to have corrected the problem for now.

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Such precise troubleshooting methods are reserved for things that just don't want to be fixed.

What a troll! Are there even blu-ray audio discs being made?

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Absolutely. Both 2L and Naxos have issued them. The appeal is the availability of extremely high fidelity multi-channel sound, in a format less-likely to be abandoned than SACD. The 2L recordings, in particular, have exceptionally high-quality sound.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

It would seem to me that if the anti-skate is pulling the tonearm outward, before it even hits the record, then its set WAY to high.

Reply to
Klaatu

Superglue (cyanoacrilate) is rather brittle and not recommended for bonding resilient surfaces. Try any flexible glue, such as vinyl cement.

Reply to
josephkk

I do not think SACD is going away any time soon, i can master them on my home linux box. It is not missing from the MSWin world either.

Reply to
josephkk

Your ability to master SACDs has nothing to do with the music industry.

We don't know how long SACD will last. Some audiophiles consider it the best-possible currently available sound, but its multi-channel capability is not only of no interest, but anathema to a large percentage of audiophiles who claim to want good sound quality, but persistently reject the industry's attempts to provide it. In a world where too many listeners consider phonograph records the height of sound quality, there are no guarantees.

Harmonia-Mundi has almost completely stopped new SACD releases (even of what are probably multi-ch masters), and is not re-pressing older ones. (This is not altogether surprising. By not adopting a single-inventory system, H-M effectively shot itself in the foot.)

Other companies, such as BIS, PentaTone, and several orchestra labels, have been successful with SACD.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck