Technics SL-PG300 tray jams on eject

My Technics SL-PG300 CD player tray jams on eject just as it's starting to come out. This occurs intermittently both with and without discs in the tray. Any help appreciated.

Reply to
Richy

Richy have look at the belts under the tray and don't forget to lubricate the side rails after closing the CD tray.

Good Luck

Paul Vatal

Reply to
Paul Vatal

I may have figured out what's happening. CDs are getting physically stuck to the disc shaped thing - clamper? (about 3" diameter) that clamps down on top of the CD when it's in the player. When it trys to eject, the top of the CD sticks to that and jams instead of dropping down onto the tray. A CD that was in there for several weeks had bonded so bad that it required me to take the whole top plate off and PEEL the CD off of that part.

The reason it's intermittent is because a CD that has just been put in will eject right out. But a CD that's been in the player for a minute or two has bonded with that clamper thingy on top enough that it takes a few tries before it will unstick itself and eject. How can I remedy this?

BTW, I guess I was wrong about saying that it also jams without a disc in the tray because it seems to eject fine with no disc.

Paul Vatal wrote:

Reply to
Richy

My guess is that there's something, probably soft drink residue, coating the "clamper". Open the player and use a soft damp cloth to reach under the clamper and wipe it off. Repeat until it's completely clean.

It would probably help to stuff a damp rag under there for a few minutes to soften up whatever's there, then wipe. Be careful not to drip water into the works below, but keep this up until you have cleaned it off completely.

Then don't let anyone feed it any more CDs with food or drink on them.

-

Jim Adney

That isn't it. There has never been any food or beverage anywhere near this unit since it was new.

I need to know what that clamper part is called, what the surface of it that contacts the CD is made of, and if it can be replaced. If it is some kind of rubber then it is entirely likely that rubber has deteriorated and become tacky and sticky.

I've had a lot of experience with this kind of thing happening to rubber over time. And unfortunately it cannot be remedied by cleaning. Because the rubber just starts deteriorating further. I had a pair of boots that the rubber soles completely broke down and stuck to the pavement as I walked away!

Reply to
Richy