Switch won't turn of Outlet

I recently replaced a switch(interupter) and a duplex outlet(receptacle) in my home. The switch had the ability to turn on/off power to the top outlet on the duplex receptacle. After replacing the switch and the receptacle I get no response from the switch. Both the top and bottom outlets on the receptacle have power, but I can no longer turn off the power to the top outlet of the duplex receptacle. I'm using Levition Decora products and have confirmed by looking at the old switch and recpetacle that I have bought the proper replacements. I've included a link to a diagram I drew of my current wire setup, can anyone give me some insight into why the switch doesn't work?

Here is the link:

P.S - Before replacing anything I wrote down the placement of all the wires and I don't believe the wires are connected incorrectly.

Reply to
badaczewski

I recently replaced a switch(interupter) and a duplex outlet(receptacle) in my home. The switch had the ability to turn on/off power to the top outlet on the duplex receptacle. After replacing the switch and the receptacle I get no response from the switch. Both the top and bottom outlets on the receptacle have power, but I can no longer turn off the power to the top outlet of the duplex receptacle. I'm using Leviton Decora products and have confirmed by looking at the old switch and recpetacle that I have bought the proper replacements. I've included a link to a diagram I drew of my current wire setup, can anyone give me some insight into why the switch doesn't work?

Here is the link:

P.S - Before replacing anything I wrote down the placement of all the wires and I don't believe the wires are connected incorrectly.

Reply to
badaczewski

and before you replaced the switch you turned the breaker off or removed the fuse? did you replace fuse or turn the breaker on?

Reply to
Ryan weihl

doesn't

You need to remove the link that connects the top and bottom outlet = together on the 'hot' side.

David

Reply to
David

Hi...

Outlets are supplied with jumpers that connect both sides together (so that one pair of wires can operate both outlets)

In your case I imagine you didn't. Take a look at the sides where the screws are, and betcha you'll find tabs connecting them.

Use a pair of pliers to break them away.

Naturally turn off the breaker or possibly two breakers first.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

You need to break off the link connecting the Hot side of the top and bottom recepticals.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Yes, those of you that told me that I probably didn't break the link on the hot side are correct! And yes I make sure to to turn off all breakers powering the room before working on the receptacle. Folks, I hope there is some science a neat way to break the connection on the hot side(red, black side in my case...also the brass screw side). I'm going to do some research about breaking this link before I do it. But if anyone has any experience breaking the link on a standard duplex Leviton receptacle I would love some pointers. I updated my diagram to illustrate what I believe you all recommend I do.

badaczewski

Get a pair of wire cutters. Clip the link at each end so that there's no danger of the ends touching again. Reassemble.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in

DaveM

Usually, you can just bend the link back and forth a couple of times and it will come off in its entirety.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

It's designed to break off after a few bendings with a pair of bigger needle nose pliers. Only do the hot side, leave the link on the neutral side alone.

Reply to
robert casey

Thanks guys, I practiced on a few of the receptacles that I've replaced and your right when you say a few back and fourth motions with the needle nose pliers causea a very clean break(snap!). Tomorrow when I get home from work and can use some natural light I will turn of the breaker and go to surgery on teh receptacle. I'll make sure to just break the hot side. Thanks for all your help!

Reply to
badaczewski

You just grab it with a pair of pliars and flex it until it breaks off, there's no real trick to it.

Reply to
James Sweet

You are lucky. One that both circuits are fed from the same "side" of the 220, and two, that the switch didn't paralell two circuits thus possibly rendering your circuit breaker ineffective.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly