Strange Screws

And another idiot with a broken newsclient showing Reply-To addresses.

And the 5 pointed star is a Torx too. There is no such thing as *the* "torx" screw.

Reply to
Folkert Rienstra

It was, until you gave it attention.

Reply to
Folkert Rienstra

Doesn't appear to include 5-pointed Torx, only 6-pointed.

--
josh@phred.org is Joshua Putnam

Books for Bicycle Mechanics and Tinkerers:
Reply to
Joshua Putnam

According to Folkert Rienstra :

newsclient, or change

I assure you, trn 4 is a decent news reader, and substituting in the Reply-To for From: is actually the right thing to do if the attribution line is to have anything in it resembling the followup'd to user's address.

Spammers aren't stupid enough to ignore Reply-To headers - in fact, smart ones would be scraping them in _preference_ to From: headers.

And those that scrape the whole message (which is why you're worried about my attribution, right?) will scrape the reply-to _too_. So, you're shooting yourself in the foot far more than the occasional followup from someone using reasonable newsreader attribution defaults like me.

If you want to avoid Usenet scrapers, you need to not mention your real email address AT ALL, or munge it.

Eg: "folkertdashrienstra (at) wanadoo.nl", or " snipped-for-privacy@wanadoo.nl".

Reply-To is not a useful approach for evading Usenet email address scrapers. If you don't want to get it scraped, _don't_ imagine that Reply-To will hide it.

--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris Lewis

According to Rob B :

The Lee Valley catalog has a variety of rare earth magnets from 1/4" to

1" in diameter. The 3/8 & 1/2" ones are great for fridge magnets.

The 1" ones are used for cargo strap tie-downs, which should give you an idea of how strong they are. Need special techniques for prying two of them apart. If they're allowed to come together unrestrained, they _will_ chip and throw chunks. I wouldn't want to get a small fold of skin between two of those!

[I have 5 of them, I just haven't gotten around to making the separation jig yet.]
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris Lewis

Exactly.

Arno

Reply to
Arno Wagner

Careful! Outlawing stupidity, while highly desirable, would lead to chaos.

Arno

Reply to
Arno Wagner

Should work as well, agreed. Unless you want to make warranty claims afterwasrds ;-)

Arno

Reply to
Arno Wagner

does.

Obviously not if it is straying from standard practice.

No, it is not.

address.

Nonsense. Obviously Reply-To is for replying-to/following-up. Contributor attribution has nothing got to do with follow-up.

Any decent news/email client automatically uses the Reply-To from the header if you choose email reply (reply to sender) and reverts to From: if it is empty. No point whatsoever to use it in attribution lines. Any news/email client that relies on attribution lines for replies is obviously broken.

Practice says different.

Wrong. I don't want my Reply address used in bodies.

Nope, it is you who is shooting me in the foot.

If it was reasonable every other newsreader would use it. Guess what.

Or use that what was intended to use and isn't normally used in usenet bodies (not the header).

I told you not to use my Reply addres in usenet messages and here you go again. It's bloody obvious how to undo the spamtraps from that.

it.

I don't imagine, you are. I just see what happens in practice.

Reply to
Folkert Rienstra

In article , snipped-for-privacy@phred.org (Joshua Putnam) writes: | In article , | snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.SPAMcom says... | > | > "John McGaw" wrote | > | > | > > If you want to buy Torx Plus tools you must, in theory anyway, be a | > > legitimate user as defined by Textron although if you know anyone who | > > works with them they should be pretty easily obtained at the cost of a | > > case of beer. ;-) | > | > | >

| | Doesn't appear to include 5-pointed Torx, only 6-pointed.

How about this:

(The SK84231 set is available from many sites, but this one had a short URL.)

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

Not correct.

Also not correct. But you seem impervious to logic, so I'm done.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

I'd have to side with Odie here. About 15 'years' ago I pulled apart an (now) old 85meg RLL hard drive because the auto park wouldn't release. This was on the kitchen table & that drive is still working today .... you'd think it would have just plain worn out by now.

I noticed it had filters inside it to clean the air moving inside it so I expect it was all clean again within seconds if not minutes of firing up again.

The 'new' drives I've pulled apart for the magnets seem to have the air filters as well although I'd expect today's technology to be less tolerant to dirty air what with the amount of data that they pack into the smaller space but I still wouldn't expect it to die in "a few days or weeks".

stanblaz@netspace.net.au
Stan Blazejewski

Yes I've gotten nasty blood blisters on several occasions. Take apart any 3.5" hard drive and pull the magnets out, they'll stick to each other very strongly. If you can find an old 5.25" SCSI drive you'll likely find even bigger magnets.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hey, not his fault that the blasted screw was defective.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Examine that filter carefully and you will find that its primary function is to filter the tiny amount of air moving through the pressure-equalization hole and that there is no mechanism by which all or any significant portion of the air circulating inside the capsule can be made to pass through it.

It dies as soon as something hard enough to scratch the platter or head and small enough to get wedged between them finds its way into that space.

In the real world people have tried this, and the drives typically died in anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Reply to
J. Clarke

ok curiosity has the better of me , i have several pandora drives stuffed in a box, couple of old 420 mb scsi out of old sun classics some old 180 -

1.2GB drives lying around, i will be going on the magnet hunt shortly. too bad i just recently dumped an old 1 GB 5 1/2 full height scsi out of old HP/UX box it made a great desk anchor
Reply to
Rob B

operation.

Every single time I've ever had a hard drive clicking it was caused by a failure of the drive, I've never even heard of it caused by those other issues, with the exception being a couple of early very hot running 10K rpm drives. Bad drive is 99% the reason.

Reply to
James Sweet

According to Folkert Rienstra :

else does.

What standard? trn set _the_ standard for more years than your newsreader has existed or you have been posting to Usenet.

There is no standard on attribution lines. Indeed, the only comments on this topic I've been able to google say _exactly_ what trn is doing - reply-to if present, From otherwise.

Funny, in the 20+ years I've been posting on Usenet (largely to groups specific to Usenet, Email and anti-spam standards, operations and practise), and the 10s of thousands of postings I've made to Usenet, you're the first to suggest it's wrong.

I don't think someone who uses Outlook as a newsreader should be lecturing anyone on newsreader "practise", let alone lecturing _me_ on spammer practises...

Perhaps Outlook's braindamage leads you to believe that spammers can't see reply-tos.

I assure you, spammers don't do this by hand. They use specialized NNTP clients, and scan _everything_ in the message - headers, bodies, everything. Valid Reply-tos are vastly more blaringly obvious than arbitrary hand munging.

Any spammer with enough neurons to be able to write a generalized demunger is sure going to notice reply-to.

If you don't want your email address scraped, don't include it in the posting.

--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris Lewis

Interessting.

Arno

Reply to
Arno Wagner

dawdle.

operation.

So either you have a pathetically inadequate small sample or you are killing all your drives.

So you obviously should refrain from commen- ting as if you are the resident expert on this.

As if that can't happen to IDE drives.

In your case. You are known as a 'pathetically inadequate sample'.

Reply to
Folkert Rienstra