Strange Screws

On 15 Jan 2006 23:00:04 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

none of those torx drivers in the link show a 5 pointer ? even the one that says textron applications ?

Reply to
Rob B

Actually, no, they don't list the 5-point security versions, only the

6-point.

Lara Tools sells them on-line, if you qualify.

josh@phred.org is Joshua Putnam

Braze your own bicycle frames.  See
Reply to
Joshua Putnam

that

no there is 5 pointer at bottom of the torx security page , sorry i posted too soon :}

Reply to
Rob B

Take them out, give them to a child to play with, and the child will be bleeding inside five minutes.

Odie

Reply to
Odie Ferrous

Yes... you can actually hold the screw with the screwdriver... that is, put the screw on the end of the screwdriver, then move it into position.

Reply to
mc

I hadn't thought about that, but I had noticed that it stays on the tip without magnetism, even when the tip is horizontal.

The tip won't slip out of the slot either, the advantage of Phillips head. I wonder how long until there are chrome torx screws for decorative places.

mm

I don't know. Recall that it took Phillips about 40 years to catch on (invented in the 1940s, not really dominant until the 1980s if memory serves me right). Torx should catch on by the middle of the century...

Reply to
mc

Square drive (eg: Canadian "Robertson") are almost as good. I drove several hundred 3" deck screws through flooring yesterday - once put on the driver, they stayed put on the driver and could be started and driven without touching the screw.

No cam-out either.

I still think they should make the manufacture and sale of slotted and phillips screws a capital offence.

--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris Lewis

According to mm :

The best way to ensure that you can copy over the good partitions is to _not_ open the drive first.

The safest way is to image copy the whole drive to a new drive. Put the old drive in a safe place, and try to repair the new drive's directory structure. Preferably doing a backup of the image you copied to the new drive before you diddle it, so you can start over _without_ touching the old drive.

The clicking is most likely retries (ie: gouged media, weak magnetics). You _can't_ fix that. You're unlikely to be able to repair even obvious mechanical faults either.

--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris Lewis

Thank you for identifing this screw as the Security Torx Plus. It does have a pin in the middle to warrant "Security". Now I just need to figure out where to get one.

I want to thank everyone for responding. In one day, there are 50 messages to help me identify a strange screw, offer help tips to unscrew it, and an explanation of clean room. Newsgroup and all you helpful people are awesome!

I also read a lot of questions on what I am planning on doing, and lots of warnings on taking hard disc apart and killing it. I would like to answer these questions and clarify my position. First, you can read about what I am planning on doing here:

As you can see, I am not talking about taking the internal hard drive apart (although I have done that in the past). But rather, I want to take the external case apart.

Chieh

-- Camera Hacker -

gypsy3001

It's a "security" bit. Should be able to find one in most tool shops - NOT Home Despot, etc.

Reply to
Noozer

Unless you have the tools and skills to identify and repair a surface defect there's nothing much you can do by opening the drive that will "stop the clicking". Either copy as much as you can before it fails or send it to a data recovery company that has the necessary tools.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

No, I was going to open the drive last, after all my software solutions failed. I'm sorry I didn't mention that.

It only clicks if I try to access the bad partition, and even then not always . I can read the good partitions, but I'm told the clicking will get worse.

mm

That would be like making digitial tv the standard, and non-digital tv's dificult to use.

Think of all the screwdrivers that would have to go on welfare.

mm

Thanks for the URL, new that screw didn't look like regular torx but have seen that type of screw and certainly didn't know there were 3 different torx screws. Something new every day.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I know they're already available special order, but I like the looks of stainless better anyway, and they're readily available.

--
josh@phred.org is Joshua Putnam

Updated Bicycle Touring Books List:
Reply to
Joshua Putnam

Just any unrecoverable read error (which isn't necessarily a physical one, it can just be a bad write, ie a logical error).

Yes you _can_, for the logical bad blocks.

Reply to
Folkert Rienstra

Hard drives have very powerful neodymium magnets in the servo actuator for the read/write head assembly. You have to be careful not to pinch your fingers between them but they're cool to play with.

Reply to
James Sweet

There's nothing you can do by opening it. If it's clicking that means it's unable to read the disc due to a hardware failure. I've had some luck placing the whole drive in the freezer for a couple hours and then copying the important stuff off immediately but if that doesn't work either pay the $ for professional recovery or throw away the drive because I can guarantee you won't fix it by opening it.

Reply to
James Sweet