Strange Screws

as I

has anyone ever pinched the fingers ? i bought some of these neodynium "warning extra strong" magnets from hardware store and skeptical i tried to pinch my fingers and have had no luck, well if that is the label to give such actions :)

Reply to
Rob B

Well, they want 1000 dollars or more.

What about putting it in the freezer while I use it?

Would't the heat of the drive and the coldness of the freezer, or fridge, which I could adjust if someone gave me some guidance, keep it at a steady rather cold temp?

The flat wire is long enough, and the power wire can be any length I want it to be.

mm

I've practically tried to glue my fingers together with super-glue, and had no luck there either. :)

mm

They're not used to make it difficult for you to get inside, but because it reduces manufacturing cost. Those screws don't slip off the bit, and you don't have to apply any pressure to the driver to prevent "cogging". They're just perfect for torque-limited power drivers in high-volume manufacturing situations.

And as others have mentioned, they come out very nicely using a properly-sized flat blade. Sometimes a hex wrench will fit, too.

Isaac

Reply to
Isaac Wingfield

NO! Do NOT do that.

Some of those magnets can crash together fast enough to shatter. If they shatter, the small pieces (also sharp), do not have enough mass to be strongly attracted to whatever is left of the magnet. They can fly away at very high velocity, and cause serious injuries (to eyes, for example).

Isaac

Reply to
Isaac Wingfield

Or a little work with a strong, small flat blade, to bend it back and forth until it breaks off.

Isaac

Reply to
Isaac Wingfield

Also can cause death if ingested, google for the recent news reports of a toddler killed by magnets from Bionicle if I remember correctly, attracted to each other through neighboring bends in the child's intestine.

--
josh@phred.org is Joshua Putnam

Updated Bicycle Touring Books List:
Reply to
Joshua Putnam

According to Folkert Rienstra :

Not by opening the drive... About the only thing that someone that doesn't have major equipment can accomplish by opening it up is to replace the drive electronics. Some of our support people are quite good at resurrecting drives by swapping the electronics (they keep electronics sets from head-crashed drives). But the OPs problem is not the electronics.

Perhaps most of these types of failures (drive clicking - retries) can be "fixed" by causing the drive to write on the bad blocks, and then doing a fixdisk or equivalent. I'm familiar with somewhat older gear under UNIX, where you take the sector number from the error messages and use "dd" or write a small program to write a single block over the bad sector. Then run the file system repair utilities (ie: fsck) to clear/reclaim it.

These days with smarter controllers, they sometimes automatically self-repair (spare out the bad sector), or a simple low-level reformat of the drive will fix or spare it out. You might find a suitable procedure on the manufacturer's web site.

--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris Lewis

According to mm :

You did know that the US Congress was mandating digital-only TV (I think) April 2009 didn't you?

Screwdriver smugglers.

--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris Lewis

i suppose i am luckier than you for i have super'd my fingers together

but i was not trying

Reply to
Rob B

Doesnt explain why they used the tamperproof and hard to get 5 lobe format.

Reply to
Rod Speed

"John McGaw" wrote

Dr. Hardcrab

Try again.

No, it's not. This is a five-pointed star. Torx screws have six points.

--
Regards,
 Click to see the full signature

No Torx Plus in that set, just Security Torx. Torx Plus is different from Torx, and Torx Plus TR is different from either.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
J. Clarke

What about all us old time service guys who never took courses on using these new fangled screwdriver whatnots! We`ll have to go on welfare as well.

Ron

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public address system
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ron(UK)

You haven't tried big/strong ones, then. I have some that are 1" diameter and 1/4" thick, and I guarantee you that they'll give you a pinch you will not soon forget! They are also extremely difficult to seperate, once locked-together.

Reply to
chrisv

Ignore the SCSI troll.

Reply to
chrisv

well the ones i tried were small button type maybe 1/3" diameter and 1/8" thick they certainly were strong they hold more to the fridge than those crap magnets and prettier too

but i could not pinch anything with those :)

Reply to
Rob B

Nonsense. If it's clicking it means it does a rezero every time it retries a read operation. It does that on ECC errors and also on CRC errors on the interface. Neither is necessarily caused by a hardware failure. Bad power supply, overheated drive or bad data cable can cause this too.

Reply to
Folkert Rienstra

Please, do not use Reply-To addresses in attribution lines. Get a decent newsclient, or change your attribution line, like everyone else.

Who says.

Only if the sector is readable with retries. Unrecoverable read error bad sectors are only reallocated on writes.

Reply to
Folkert Rienstra