splitters with DC pass through, and dbs

Do splitters with DC pass-through have the same signal loss as those without.

I've found vague things on the web and just now I found some RCA brand splitters that said nothign about decibels anyhow. (A lot of splitters say nothing, but RCA!?)

I would only be using one, but if necessary, I can plug the powersupply in in the attic and use no such splitter.

Reply to
mm

If it is a quality unit, passing DC through should not increase the losses appreciably.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Insertion loss of a splitter varies somewhat with design factors. DC pass/block is *not* one of those factors.

UCLAN

Thank you, and thank you hr bob. That's good to know.

Reply to
mm

Another thing I've noticed is that a lot of splitter in bubble-packs come with milky-clear plastic caps over the threads. Have you notice that?

This is totally bogus, right?

I've never seen a splitter with a damaged thread, certainly not one that hadn't been sold yet.

Reply to
mm

They are shipped from the factory that way. It doesn't take much to damage the pot metal most splitters are cast from. Drop one and let it land on one of the ports. There is a good chance that you will bugger the threads, or crack the casting. Anything bulk shipped without either cardboard dividers in the tray and soft layers of single corrugated cardboard or the plastic caps was automatically rejected by the CATV MSO I worked for. If you toss them into the bins in a installer's truck without protection, a lot get damaged.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

That makes me feel better. Thanks.

Reply to
mm

You're welcome. It was part of my job to test samples from multiple vendors. The lower quality stuff was usually obvious, before it ever hit the test equipment. :)

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to