VGA Splitters

I know it`s slightly off topic here, but I find myself with a need to drive two flat panel monitors from one computer - Simple advertising display, the screens will be within a couple of metres of each other and probably three metres from the computer. Does anyone have experience with passive splitters? will they suffice or do I need to look at active devices?

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

I assume you are talking about analogue VGA and not DVI connection.

With the old monitors that had seperate BNC connectors you could switch off the built-in 75ohm termination on all but the last one and daisy chain them with T-pieces. Generally you cannot do this with modern monitors on HD15 connections. Using a passive split would probably degrade the output noticably.

I just had the CPC mailing through the door today - they have active 2 way splitters for £17.98 plus VAT, order code CS0798401.

--
Tim Phipps

replace "invalid" with "uk" to reply by email
Reply to
Tim Phipps

Thanks for that, yes I mean standard computer monitors. Output doesn't have to be perfect, it`s just some advertising. I haven't had my weeky fix from CPC yet, some closet reading to look forward to.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

There's loads of graphics cards with dual outputs now for very little money. The ones with seperate VGA and DVI sockets often come with an adapter so you can access the analogue VGA on the DVI socket for dual monitor use.

Morse

Reply to
Morse

I've not had much difficulty with just y'ing the outputs in non-critical apps, but YMMV.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Cheers jak, that`s what I`m hoping will happen, It`s a temporary set up, no chance of swapping video cards or anything like that. I guess I`ll have to just suck it and see.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

You may be lucky with the short distance involved. There seem to be plenty of cheap y cables on sale. Personally, if it is a favour for a friend I'd try the y-split but if it's a paying job just price in the cost of an active splitter.