Converting dBs into dBms?

Hi there,

how can I convert a value in dBs into dBms (and other way around)?

As far as I remember, it was something like that:

db = dBm + 10

but I am not sure. It's been almost 10 years since I don't use this stuff.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

Marcos

Reply to
Marcos Martinez Sancho

"Marcos Martinez Sancho"

** Bit like converting chalk into cheese - it cannot be done.

"dBs" express a power * ratio * in logarithmic format.

But "dBm" expresses signal (power) level referenced to 1mW in log format.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Hi, Marcos. Phil's right. Try starting by looking at the Wikipedia article:

Read it all, but you're going to specifically look about halfway down, at the Electronics subheading. It's all there.

dB is generally a relative measure like gain, and has no units. For beginners, rules of thumb are:

Power: 10dB per decade (X10) -- approx. 3dB per octave (X2)

Voltage: 20dB per decade -- approx. 6 dB per octave

dBm (or dBmW) , as Phil says, is a specific power measurement, referenced to 1mW of power. The calculation ratios expressed in the Wiki article apply.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

"Chris" dixit:

OK. I get that. All this stuff has become very rusty in my mind, sorry.

Therefore, dBs may be applied to ratios, such as SNR.

And dBm may be a power meaasurement.

Let's say,

S = 20 dBm

N = 5 dBm

SNR = 10 dB

Am I correct?

Marcos

Reply to
Marcos Martinez Sancho

Nope. To find the difference, you would just subtract. The difference is 15dB (it's now a relative, unitless power measurement).

This is one of the big advantages of using dB as a measure -- you keep the slide rule off the desk. ;-)

By the way, occasionally some of the basic stuff gets lost in a corner if you haven't used it in a while. Sci.electronics.basics is anonymous, but you may wait a while for a correct answer, and there's always a chance that someone will throw a fly in the ointment. If you can't ask a co-worker, or if you're in a hurry, try the Wikipedia:

Although the articles are done by voluntary contributors, they're usually well-done, and if someone finds a problem, there's an easy way to resolve it by recommending an edit.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

"Chris" dixit:

Yeah, yeah, 20 - 5 = 15 db. That's what I meant.

Thanks.

Marcos

Reply to
Marcos Martinez Sancho