Speaker Outlets on Walls

I want to hang some surround sound satellites along with a basement remodel, and use modular plugs. The only thing I can find in the home centers are wall plates the size of electrical outlets.

That's a little big for my tastes. I would prefer not to have outlets and covers in all four corners. Do they make something that is a little more discreet and unobtrusive? Thanks.

E.g., this is all I can find (with only 2 posts)

Buck Turgidson

Go visit a fancy Video/Audio place (the kind that installs home theaters for megabucks) and just ask questions. If you see what you want then ask just how that is done.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

JR North

It's an interesting question. Speakers - or rather decent ones - need a good low resistance connector that can handle the power. And this doesn't normally translate into something small. My favourites are Neutric Speakon but these are a fairly bulky device.

Here in the UK I would normally mount these in a blank plate chosen to match the other wiring accessories. This would be a single gang type which measures about 3 1/4 x 3 1/4" so not very different from US ones. The other alternative - not much used - is an architrave sized fitting. This is the same height but only about 1" wide. However blank plates for these are very restricted in choice.

Now I don't know about US wiring regs but here in the UK speaker wiring doesn't come under these so you can do what you want. No real reason to have a connector at all - the wire could just come straight out of the wall. Indeed this is what I've done with my surround speakers - the cable goes inside the wall bracket so is totally concealed.

--
*Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can do what you want, so long as you don't mix low voltage and line voltage wiring in the same conduit or junction boxes.

Reply to
James Sweet

Makes sense not to apart from any safety aspect. Modern mains wiring has all sorts of crap on it from SMPS and light dimmers, etc. This shouldn't get on speaker cables but can and will get induced into low level signal cables if too close.

--
*If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished.