source for LCD NTSC small monitor in a camcorder???

I am looking for a small LCD monitor. I might just buy a DVD portable player and use the video input to that but that screen is a bit large for what I'm wanting to do. Color is nice but B$W would be ok too.

I was wondering if perhaps the typical flip out LCD monitor that you see on the old analog camcorders use the old ntsc style input or is all that electronics split up between the little LCD monitor and the camcorder itself? I'm not afraid of hardware hacking and have quite a bit of test equipment, but if the answer is that most camcorders with LCD monitors don't really have an NTSC input line then its not worth the bother.

OTOH, that little flip out monitor on my Sony D8 camcorder is just about right. But I don't want to cannibalize it. I'm sure I could get some broken stuff from ebay or pawn shops but if the electronics to input via NTSC is scattered all over the camcorder electronics and is not built in to the display itself then there really is no point in going that route.

TKS don

Reply to
nospam.don

Don't waste your time. The little displays are not NTSC.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Berger

tks Mike, I was afraid of that. I won't go there. I guess my best bet for now will be to use one of those combo DVD players with a 7" screen. What I want to do is mount a monitor in my center above console so connect to my camera mounted in the back of my suburban to help with backing and connecting the trailer hitch. The DVD player is a bit large and the little flip out screen looked soooo tempting. I guess I'd have to use the whole camcorder to do what I wanted. Not very appealing. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

BTW, nospan.don@gmail is a valid email id.

best regards Don

Reply to
nospam.don

bob

Bob Urz

You can buy little NTSC monitors, both LCD and CRT. The B&W CRT monitors are the cheapest and will give the best picture quality for the application, but they're bulky.

Reply to
James Sweet