Pioneer VSX-D810 Amplifier Poweringoff message when turned on

Hi, my amp displays "poweringoff" within 5 seconds of being turned on. I'm fairly certain this is the protection mode, but I don't know how to reset it. I know that some models have a combination of two buttons you hold while powering it on, but I can't find any info on this model on the web.

I don't have the SM, and I'm not sure I want to shell out 15 bucks to get it. If that doesn't fix it, I don't have the electronics skills to go any deeper -- at that point I'd have to take it somewhere to be looked at, and the 15$ would be a waste. Does somebody happen to know the combination for this model, or maybe some common ones that I could try that might apply to the 810?

Much obliged!

Reply to
jazzgilbert

I have a note at the back of my bench that says " To reactivate system control processor, press 'ADVANCED SURROUND' and 'ENTER' ( by jog ) together for 2 seconds ".

I'm pretty sure that this was for a Pioneer that I was having similar trouble with, but it is likely that if yours is going into protect mode, there is something actually wrong with it.

Probably wasn't for the same model - I can't remember now - CRAFT's disease and all that ( !! ) but worth a try, as often, the same codes do for more than one model from a manufacturer.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

This problem can be caused most commonly either from overloading the unit, or by shorted finals. I'd be sure to check for shorted speaker wires. These units if I recall correctly use a STK like hybrid IC output device, and I have seen several output failures.

To reset the protection circut press and hold the Advanced Surround and Enter puttons simultaneously for at least 2 seconds. If the unit resets, then goes back into the shutdown mode, you are most likely dealing with a bad output IC.

Reply to
ampdoc

Well, I don't have those buttons (Adv. Surround & Enter). I have: Class, Memory, Band, MPX, Speakers, Midnight Station - & +, Tuning - &

+, Direct, Monitor, Digital NR, DSP Mode, Signal Select, Dolby/DTS, and Tone.

I've tried a few random buttons while powering up, no luck.

Reply to
jazzgilbert

I'll have a look and see if I've got a manual for it, but don't hold your breath ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I appreciate you taking a look. I'm kinda tight on funding atm, and my current stereo died on me -- if I could get this one working, that would be amazingly good luck. It's got video and optical ins, both features I really needed and my old stereo didn't have 'em. Because I'm running audio from my pc, I get a lot of "power hum" using analog lines, so the optical is virtually a necessity.

Reply to
jazzgilbert

Finally got round to checking through the manuals, but haven't got one for that model - sorry.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily