Sony TeeVee

I was given a beautiful Sony 27TS32, and after I got a beefy friend to help me get it inside; I loved it.

One week later, "He's dead, Jim"...as there's no HV. The "timer/standby LED is blinking away as it did during startup.

Found a print online. Hassle is I'd have to pull PS board and fix elsewhere, then hope that is it & reinstall. PITA.

Debating the effort to fix it vs. an even BIGGER Sony a friend wants me to take instead....

Anyone know what is likely dead; what parts will be needed, etc?

David Lesher

Most common is a shorted horizontal output transistor, 2 shorted switching transistors and an open .1 ohm resistor in the power supply, caused by bad solder connections at the horizontal drive transformer. If these terms are unfamiliar to you, best forget trying to fix it yourself.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

Thanks

How often is the flyback itself dead? I can see that being real money; if even available.

David Lesher

A bad flyback is uncommon but does happen. A company (in the U.S.) called Asti Magnetics has replacements for 30.00 or less. There is a paper label on the FB with a Sony part number.

800-221-1828

Yup, I remembered their phone number.

Too bad my brain doesn't function so well in other areas...

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

The parts Mark mentioned were commonly related to this type of failure, and there were also a couple of small value film capacitors that should be replaced at the same time (possibly another small component, it's been a long time since I did one of the big Sony repairs).

You may find archived repair experiences in the older SER posts which will show the specific parts locations and designations (and maybe the part numbers) of the parts needed. You might also search the chassis number located on a sticker for more results.

You may also find recommendations to use only genuine Sony parts obtained from a Sony authorized distributor.. otherwise, generic independent parts sellers' repair kits were known to fail within a short time in numerous cases.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Sometimes the VDRs in the circuit also leak or short when the switching transistors fail. Chuck

Reply to
chuck

and

ll

I did a lot of those sets years ago. I never saw a bad flyback. There was the horizontal output transistor, the two power supply transistors, the four capacitors, the resistor, and the two VDR's. If you do a search you'll find the parts list. And as others have mentioned it was of utmost importance to do the re soldering on everything that looked suspicious, especially the horizontal driver transistor and drive transformer. I think that there were also some 3 terminal regulators that needed re soldering as well. They were sometimes located under the plastic chassis supports so you have to either really look carefully or remove the board. I would give these boards a really good eyeball when I got one in. It was a bit of a pain in the ass job but worth it and this was usually the extent of it. They were nice sets with a great picture. I think I still have all these parts if you can't find them. Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper