Sony TV KV2167MT picture has got curved

I've got a 19 years old 21" Sony CRT TV. Model- KV2167MT. Althought the pic ture quality is excellent, I've recently noticed that the picture has got s lightly curved inwards from the sides.

The bend is from both sides but the bend from the right side is comparateve ly more than on left side. In most pictures, the bend is not noticeable bu t in certain pictures (like in which have got large box almost the same siz e of screen area or got straight line on the sides, the curve is clearly no ticeable)

A Sony technician had came to fix another fault of low brightness in this T V and repaired the fault by detecting a small faulty component. After that when I told about this picture curving fault, he without doing any testing told me something about yoke and that he cannot rectify this fault.

My questions So, what are the possible reasons for this fault? If due to a faulty compon ent, which is that component? Could this be corrected by some adjustments?

All that the Sony engineer told me could really be true that its certainly a yoke problem? (earlier this engineer, for low brightness told me that thi s problem is due to faulty IC. But later he made a more detailed check and found out that a faulty resistor was responsible for that brigtness problem . Not the IC!)

Pls help

Thanks R Solomon

Reply to
mail4ronald17

Get a new TV.. 19 years is more than enough ..

Picture tube is most likely a little weak, low brightness and the tech most likely cranked up the HV to compensate. Now you have to much voltage and it pushing the picture in on the side..

The other possible problem could be a bad HV regulator circuit and thus a hacked job was done.

But either way, the tube is weak,... and you'll never get the correct video with out some HV issues. These HV issues will cause problems like your seeing.. The proper way to fix an old weak tube is the but a filament booster on it ?:) It'll get you some more time but not much..

As far as know, they don't even make CRT's for consumer TV's any more.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

That and I am sure you could run down to Walmart and pick up a new flat screen 32 inch TV for way more than a new tube would cost just in labor alone. It would also be much more efficient and save on your electric bill. And be able to receive off the air with out a converter.

Reply to
Tom Miller

That should be "way less than".

I don't know what's wrong with my keyboard. It keeps typing things wrong.

Reply to
Tom Miller

One note about that, recently a friend of mine found out that Walmarts, at least in this area has some TV's that do not support the QAM type of cable/tuner, which is what we have here.

Something to think about when getting a TV.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

It's NOT the picture tube. There is a pincushion circuit with a problem.

Having said that - still better to get a new tv at this point.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

[...]

You don't do this work for a living, do you? CRTs are no longer available s o when it croaks, that's it. Nobody changed the EHT as it would cause a HOS T of problems. Increasing the G2 Voltage would bring up the cathode current s (brighter) but also have negative results with color tracking. It would N OT cause geometric distortions. Bad caps in the pincushion section would de finitely cause geometric problems collapsing vertical lines inward. This is a VERY common Sony failure and I've replaced MANY caps.

The suggestion to replace the TV is good and you'll wonder why you waited s o long as the improvement is dramatic.

Good riddance to CRTs.

Reply to
stratus46

icture quality is excellent, I've recently noticed that the picture has got slightly curved inwards from the sides.

Sonys are notorious for borderline geometry issues due to CRT/yoke design, but mostly with the larger CRTS. Sudden changes in geometry are usually du e to a pincussion circuit failure, but does this smallish model even have a pincussion circuit?

If the distortion is not excessive, I suggest living with it if the picture is as otherwise good as you've described it. Even at 20 years old, it's s till likely to survive longer than a low end Chinese TV. (Right now I have a 2013 "black friday" Westinghouse 32 with 7 LEDs burned out in the display , and no replacements available).

And if running a non-HD signal into it, it will probably have a crisper, mo re pleasing picture than a cheap flat will. If you plan to move to HD, the n the old Sony couldn't keep up.

Reply to
John-Del

I had this fault in a similar set and it was a small square plastic capacit or next to the HOT. Sorry, can't be more specific.

In my opinion CRT has better color rendering and crisper picture in SD TV a nd uses approximately the same power to run as a modern set since both tech nologies are quite efficient. Just look at the specs, a big 28"CRT draws 95 W of power, a similar size LCD can go up to 130W.

Going HD on a CRT is not impossible, I did some experiments years ago and c ould get up to 1920x576 resolution on a standard TV. It requires a Scart in put with RGB capability (I belive it is not common in America but it is in Europe). Using RGB you can send any horizontal resolution you want and most sets I tested actually displayed that level of detail fine (of course nati ve 50Hz sets, not line doubled 100Hz ones). The vertical resolution is limi ted by the scan circuits so we can call that almost-HD. Commercial HD decod ers with Scart RGB outputs can output all horizontal resolution but I do no t know if all of them actually do.

Reply to
Jeroni Paul

Is there a "pincushion" adjustment on the set, I am on travel so don't have access to any of my manuals.

Reply to
hrhofmann

failure and I've replaced MANY caps.

I used to repair those shit things years ago and yes, increasing HV or having a faulty HV regulation circuit will make the scan change size and not always linearly, depending on the cause.

It's a very common problem I saw in many of old junks!

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

There are CRT monitors that will do 2048 * 1536. I had one HP that did.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

did. "

At what refresh ? Anything over 60 Hz I want the part number of its horizontal output. Bet it was a MOSFET.

Reply to
jurb6006

[...]

Go to you nearest Good Will. People are always donating old crt TV's. You may get lucky and find a 21 inch Sony picture tube. I drove by our Good Wi ll and they had 40 crt tv's

Reply to
tvrepairman2014