Sony KV36FS12 no power any thoughts

My neighbor has a Sony Wega set that just went dead and asked me to look at it completely dead no response to remote or power button Wondering if these have any known issues that I need be aware of that might cause this Thanks bob

Reply to
bob

Many of the later model Sony TV's have a built in Self- Diagnosis function. If the timer/standby indicator is blinking, this could be an indication of the problem with the unit. The diagnostic blinking will occur automatically with no action required by you to engage it. The timing of the blinking you see would be as follows: two to eight blinks (depending on the fault) about a third of a second apart, then pauses for 3 seconds, then the two to eight blinks about a third of a second apart again. Here is a list of the problems that might have occurred indicated by the number of blinks. The words in parentheses are those which you will see for each of these faults on a diagnosis screen described later in this article. Unit is dead and there are no blinks---Problem in the standby power section. Might check fuse, R607, Q601, IC601, R612 and VDR601 (should show open) Continuous Blink Once A Second, No Pausing---No reply from the jungle IC (data bus is busy, shorted to ground or held high), IK video path is defective. ONE Blink--- not used for the self-diagnosis TWO Blinks---B+ over current protection (OCP) , unit goes to the standby mode then displays the 2 blink fault. Could be a short in the power supply of any of the circuits. THREE Blinks---B+ over voltage protection (OVP), unit goes to the standby mode then displays the 3 blink fault. This is also a problem in the power supply circuit. FOUR Blinks---No Vert. Deflection (V STOP), Screen goes to a single horizontal line then the video signal muted. FIVE Blinks---AKB circuit (AKB), the timer/standby indicator blinks for about 30 seconds then goes to the self-diagnosis function. Something is wrong with the video. Also unit be in IK blanking, try turning up screen slightly. SIX Blinks---No Horizontal (H STOP), no raster, goes to the blinking selfdiagnosis function immediately. Check jungle IC and nearby components. SEVEN Blinks---High voltage shutdown. The high voltage has exceeded

33kv and the unit goes immediately into safety shutdown. Check power supply regulation and horizontal circuits. EIGHT Blinks---Problem with the audio (AUDIO), unit goes to standby and blinks the self-diagnosis code. Check audio amp IC.

faisal :-)

Reply to
faisalift

For a completely dead set I'd start in two places. First check the fuse, if it's blown then figure out why. If the fuse is ok, then check for standby voltage. Unfortunately I have no direct experience with this model though.

Reply to
James Sweet

Start with the basics:

Is the set plugged in to the AC? Are there any blown fuses? Is there anything looking visualy burned?

When any of the above faults are shown, this means that there is a more serious problem that must be delt with.

If you have the experience and a good DVM and a scope, start by getting the service manual, and then following through from the power supply. There are many types of failures that can cause a set to fail according to your description.

Your best bet is to pack the set in to the car, and bring it to a local service center that is able to service Sony TV sets. These sets can be a challange for even the most experienced techs.

There are also safety issues involved when performing TV service.

--

Jerry G.

Reply to
Jerry G.

yeah there is one usr error get a life or a g f instead of posting stupid retarded question u pathetic sad loser.

Reply to
Paige D'Winter

he did ask u to take it to a repair center he asked u to fix his neibbhor t.v. for him u pathateic sad troll loser retard.

Reply to
Paige D'Winter

I got this opened up last night and the 6.3A fuse was blown Luckily this PS is removable and I brought it back to my bench to look for the problem After checking all the obvious things and finding nothing bad I replaced the fuse and powered it up without incident then proceeded to bypass the two relays to bring up the running voltages again without incident. I'm going to put it back in tonight and start looking elsewhere . I'm assuming the HOT would be the next likely place to check . Any other obvious places to look Seemed strange that with this diagnostic capability a non PS problem could take out the primary fuse. Bob

Reply to
Bob T

Actually, the fuse would not normally blow on a Sony when the horizontal output is shorted. The SMPS transistors and fusible resistor however, would.

I'd check the horizontal transistor of course, but if the bridge rectifier is OK, and the main input DC filter cap doesn't show a short across it, I would guess the fuse was the only problem - just try firing it up and see. A fuse is easier and faster at this stage than troubleshooting more. You can resume troubleshooting if the fuse blows again. Do remember to resolder the horizontal drive transformer and the vertical output I.C. for good measure. BTW the horizontal transistor will show a near-short emitter-base when measured in-circuit. This is normal.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Went back out and checked the HOT an dit was fine but as you said very low resistance in circuit

Having checked out the Hot I gave it a try and it ran fine just a blown fuse.

Friend commented that they were jumping around in the room the night before it failed

Thanks again

BOb

Reply to
Bob T

Another common falure in a lot of large screen direct view sets (i.e. >27" diag measure) is the degauss thermistor changing value causing increase current during degauss functions. Eventually it will cause the 6.3 amp fuse to simply open. RCA, Samsung, Sony, Philips, etc have all incurred this specific symptom called "nusiance Fuse failure". Repairs normally involve changing the fuse and degauss thermistor, plus resoldering the LOPT, H drive transformer, H-output, etc.

Reply to
AJ