Sony iLink problems.

So far, I have tried 3 different Sony camcorders with

3 different laptops and my own PC which has a Firewire card, no joy. No video out. Tried different leads, different programs, nothing. I have seen some forums which give dire warnings about Sony camcorders, and the likelihood of "blowing" the firewire ports on the cameras very easily. This sounds fairly nonsensical to me. So, if I apply a scope to the iLink port on the camera, what should I see if it were working? Will a scope give any reliable indication that the port is working?
Reply to
gonzo

JR North

Yes, but that port has 400 MHz data, it won't be visible on just ANY 'scope. Better to try plugging into a Macintosh (and if iMovie shows video, you know it's only a software issue).

Reply to
whit3rd