Fluke 289 data cable to PC problem.

Is there something that must be done do a Fluke 289 meter to get it to transmit/Receive data via the optical coupling cable and software installed that comes with it?

This last week, we tried 3 different meters and none them seem to respond. The software installs and a new COM port pops up as a FT232 device, which is just a USB to serial converter.. The software sees the cable with no problems how ever, can not mate up with the meter ?

Is there something that needs to be done in the meter to get it to link ? or do we have something wrong here?

The laptop that it was tried on is an old one, "ThinkPad" and It only has 1 USB port (1.x) version.. This same laptop works fine with an Extech 5 Mhz scope via it's data cable which is a USB and shows as a serial port as far as I know..

The only part we haven't tried is a different cable, because for what ever reason, every one that has a 289 in our facility seems to have lost their cable!

Reply to
Jamie

Well I'm no expert on the Fluke 289 but it sure looks like a nice meter.

USB only has 4 wires, +5 volts, return, send, receive. Serial has 9 on a standard COM port. The solution seems obvious, use a real Serial COM port instead of a USB to Serial converter.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

You don't get it, the cable from Fluke is an integrated Serial to USB using the standard FT232 converter chip. I am not using any converters, the cable is a USB on the PC end and the connected optical head that goes into the meter, which employs a FT232 chip in it that drives the LED emitter for TX and Photo detector for the RX end of the serial chip..

This device requires no system drivers because it shows as a serial port and thus, native to most operating systems out there at the software level.

Thanks for trying.

Reply to
Jamie

Have you tried Fluke Support:

1(800) 44-FLUKE (1(800) 443-5853)
Reply to
ED

"Jamie" wrote in message news:qd5pn.3611$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe24.iad...

Maybe you have to press and hold button X while turning on, like the

287.

Martin Riddle

Hmm, I'll try that monday//

Reply to