Sony CCD-F501 Playback problem

Long time listener...first time caller ;-)

I have a limited knowledge of Camcorders. That being said, I do understand how 8mm backup tape drives work. I'm sure the two are similar in operation.

The issue that I'm having with this unit, is that the tape does not play at a constant/proper speed. In a cyclic fashion (approx 1 cycle per second), the tape speed slows then returns to normal playback speed. This is too slow to be playback head related.

My first thought, knowing the problems with electrolytic caps with these units, was the possibility of bad capacitors in the capstan motor circuitry.

Any thoughts?

I'm also looking for a repair manual for this camera (I have two, the other one doesn't eject...but it's a parts unit).

Thanks in advance, _kevin

Reply to
karchiba

Two identical cameras? Make one good one out of both.

Reply to
Meat Plow

My original intention was to have a second identical camera as spare parts, an excellent suggestion. Would you have any suggestions as to where I could get a service manual for this camera?

Reply to
karchiba

Have you tried

and enter "CCD-F501" as search criteria? If not, do so as this would be the first place I would look on the internet. Other than that I haven't had the need for a Sony camcorder manual up until coincidentally, now. I own a DCR-HC20 that the CCD no longer works. Everything else is in fine shape, I went to use it one day and no image. I had previously repaired a loose connection on the 2.5" touch screen LCD that had lost its green drive. This is a small palm-corder and a real pain in the wazoo to work on with all the microscopic screws. Certainly need a steady hand, lots of bright light and a clean place to disassemble and work on it. My OptiVisor with 10x lenses is a must at least for me who needs reading glasses :)

Reply to
Meat Plow