Camcorder 8mm playback Compatability?

I have two working 8mm camcorders. Does anybody know if a tape recorded,on one should play back correctly on the other ?. The reason I ask is that I found on one the left hand side adjustable moving tape guide was loose along with the its locking set screw. I managed without any electronic test gear to get this camcorder to record and playback OK by mechanical adjustment.If this recorded tape is played back in the other camcorder, I get two bands of noise bars with a locked frame.I understand most modern VHS machines have automatic tracking,which corrects any errors. Do 8mm camcorders have this same system.Any help please?

Reply to
Andy

Andy: Duh.....really now.... OF COURSE it should play back correctly on another 8mm camcorder. Two things have to happen.... the "recording" camcorder has to be in proper alignment.... AND.... the "playback" camcorder has to be in proper alignment. If all if OK then any tapes that are recorded will play back properly on any 8mm camcorder that is in proper alignment (interchange). The alignment is critical and the tape guides must be set correctly with an alignment tape... and usually an oscilloscope to optimize the video head RF envelope. What you have now is a machine that can play back it's own tape (which is not that hard to do) but is NOT in proper interchange alignment and those tapes can not be played correctly on a properly aligned machine...... it is making non-standard tapes .... which makes it useless. electricitym . . . . .. . .

Reply to
electricitym

Andy: Are you really seriously asking this question.? ? If tapes from one 8mm camcorder could not be played back on another one then I wouldn't think that they would sell too many of them. Both machines must be properly aligned and adjusted in order to be compatible with each other and the millions of other 8mm camcorders out there..... This is why most service shops have alignment tapes, oscilloscopes, and other test equipment... and of course the proper training and procedures. You might want to go the

to look over some of the useful information regarding VCR head alignment.... you can't do this in a haphazard way if you want compatibility with other machines.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

along

adjustment.If

have

Reply to
Sofie

Due to the problem of many 8mm camcorders, the chassis has some arms which are not properly secured and misalign after a long time of working.

I've realigned many in the 90's.

Greetings Peter

Reply to
eddumweer

The ONLY exception is if one is analog, and the other digital 8mm. Then you would have a problem. We are assuming he is asking about 2 analog machines. Don't forget Sony made and makes these. IMO they are pretty good.

Les

Reply to
les

There are a couple of circumstances where this might not work.

  • Are they both analog or both digital? Analog 8mm decks can't read digital tapes.

  • Is the recorded tape a compatible format? A standard 8mm analog deck can't read Hi-8 tapes.

No, you can't assume an 8mm tape will work > I have two working 8mm camcorders. Does anybody know if a tape recorded,on

Reply to
Mike Berger

Reply to
Andy

Reply to
Andy

Andy: The operator controls for "automatic" or even manual tracking on any VCR or Camcorder CAN NOT compensate for mis-adjusted roller guides or mis-aligned video heads or other alignment issues. With very few exceptions full interchange between VHS VCRs, or in your case between 8 mm camcorders can be achieved with proper alignment and adjustment of the recording machine and the playback machines and any other properly aligned machine..... then the automatic or manual tracking controls can compensate for the left over minor differences between the recorded tape and the playback machine.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

OK

Reply to
sofie

Reply to
Andy

Andy: Most models of 8mm camcorders have no "user" control of tracking.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

mis-aligned

properly

service

reason