Sony EV-S700UB drawer problem

I have acquired a Sony EV-S700UB 8mm VCR. It came to me with a fault, namely the cassette draw often opens on power on, ejecting the tape. On trying to close the draw to load a tape, the draw will not go fully home and will not latch. Cycling the power a few times and hitting the eject button seems to "reset" things and the tape loads successfully, until the next power off or sometimes when it feels like it.

Once a tape loads, the video and audio are fine, and all other functions seem to work. Obviously, I don't expect a proper diagnosis based on such a flimsy description, but I was hoping maybe this is a common fault with a common solution, ie slipping belt etc. I can go in and repair it no problem, but a head start would be most beneficial as it's rather complex!

Thanks in advance

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

Sounds like some gears could be out of alignment. Or it could be a dirty or faulty mode switch. ...And some models have ribbon-cables that go bad from flexing too many times and must be replaced. It may take a careful visual and electrical inspection with a svc manual to track down the fault.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

Hi,

Thanks for that. I managed to get it working after a lot of trouble. I removed the mode switch, which was a right faff on, saturated it with lubricating switch cleaner and rotated it several times. Reassembled, still no good.

I observed the long plastic linkage above the spools which when operating seemed to slow down and stop as if jammed, which corresponded withthe fault every time. It turned out that the very small motor which operates this part of the mechanism (I couldn't even find it for about an hour!) was weak and its gears bunged up with crud and old grease. On removing the motor it appeared that Sony in their wisdom had applied a blob of grease just above the commutator. I removed the grease, flushed the motor with lubricating switch cleaner (it has nylon/plastic bearings so it should be OK) and reassembled. The linkage moves quickly and smoothly now, and so far the fault has not reappeared.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D