Sony Audio amplifier takes long to "warm up"

I have a background in electronics but not in audio amplifier. I have a Sony Audio amplifier, a 25 years old model. I turn on the power and it takes 20 to 40 minutes to hear the music. Just before I hear the music, There is a ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ then a CLICK. Each selection (Tuner, Aux or Tape) works or does not. Once the amp works, it works until I turn it off.

On what stage, from the power supply to the audio output, I should look at? What type of component I should look for ( capacitor, relay, transistor)?

Do you have a suggestion of a web site?

The purpose of this posting is to understand how an audio amplifier works to repair it.

Reply to
Robijean

Travis Jordan

Electrolytic capacitors, probably. I'd guess in the power supply, the audio output and the protection circuit.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

   Maarten Bakker.
Reply to
maarten

Sounds like a weak cap on the relay drive circuit.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

a good possibility.... or just as likely: cold, cracked or otherwise faulty solder connections on pcb near and around the high heat producing power resistors, semiconductors, etc.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

sofie

Sounds like the speakers are fed via a relay - commonly to prevent a thump in the speakers at power up time. There will be a timing circuit associated with it. May be even they trip out if there's a large DC offset through the amp.

--
*You can't teach an old mouse new clicks *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)