Home audio amplifier failure

First, this is my first entry into this group. I ran a NG search for this problem, and the result(s) indicated here. Sorry, if that was wrong.

I have an Onkyo home audio component system. The amplifier in this system(Onkyo A-RV401) has flamed out, as least I'm pretty sure it's the amplifier.

Next, I'm not an electronics guy. I'm just looking for a little seasoned advice.

The system no longer produces any sound, no tuner, tape, CD, headphones, nothing. However, I can crank up the volume to full, and faintly hear the audio. As usual, this worked fine one day, and failed the next.

It appears that this component can be replaced with something like, for around $400-600. It also appears that current models have the tuner/amplifier integrated into a single unit, where the existing unit(s) are separate.

It's my opinion(only opinion) that replacement should be the choice, rather than a repair attempt.

Comments?

Thanks, for the help.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Used amps in good condition can often be found at a small fraction of the price of new.

Remember - you were happy with your (used -- by you) amp until it broke, so why not consider a good used (by somebody else) amp? There are lots of people who regularly "trade up" whether they can hear the difference or not -- it's a form of self-flattery. That puts some pretty good equipment on the market cheap.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

find a repair shop and have it fixed... should cost $75 to $100 for repair

Reply to
TimPerry

Perfectly serviceable but it's your choice. I even see them in thrifts, the only problem being testing them there.

NSM

this

Yes, you are quite right. And, I often criticize those for making a brand switch under the light of comparison of a bright shiny new model vs. retention of the current brand.

Although I wasn't really looking specifically to change brands, I was looking at everything available. Things like this change/evolve so quickly, it's easy for me to get behind.

Regarding the used/trade-in issue, I hadn't really given that any thought. It is a good suggestion. But, for some- one like me, with minimal ability to detect potential problems in electronic equipment, I'd prefer new.

Also, unless possibly a high end audio outlet, I've have no idea where to find used equipment as this. I guess the pawnshop is certainly an option, but I'd think one would need considerable more savvy than me.

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
Gary Walker

the

That's my take on the whole thing. But, I will take this, and the other suggestions into consideration. Problem is, I don't know an RF from a DSP, and unless I find someone I can trust, my scrutiny is suspect.

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
Gary Walker

this

I will check into it. I do have a friend who repairs guitar amplifiers. Not that I would try to cop a free repair, just that I would trust him. But, I thought that one could easily exceed the unit value by attempting repair.

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
Gary Walker

up the volume to full, and faintly hear the audio>

Sounds like maybe the tape monitor is engaged. Maybe nothing wrong worth the amp. Even if the amp does have a problem, the A-RV401 is a nice model, worth repair.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

the

worth

I understand your comment, but although I have engaged all the input sources at one time or another, the faint audio can be detected as from the source intended.

Yes. it has been a great unit. It was suggested earlier that repair might be worth looking into, which I will. I'd hate to just throw the whole thing away due to something small.

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
Gary Walker

Then perhaps a failure of the regulated power supply area. You'd hear nothing at all if the main amp was blown or if there were a large DC offset. Could be one or more open resistors feeding voltage regulator(s) in the power supply. Fairly common problem on similar model Onkyo receivers, though I've only worked on one or two amps like yours, and it's been a while.

Mark Z.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

worth

offset.

though

Well, as I said, I don't really know. I can say that this amp never runs about 30% volume, I just use it mostly for headphone listening. If I juice up the volume to 100%, I'll hear the audio at about the depth I might expect at 1-5%.

"The amplifier's just ain't amplifying".

I still haven't decided, intending on contact of an amp repair friend. But, I have found another equivalent replacement Onkyo for ~$300 at Fry's. It's a TX-8511.

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
Gary Walker

Just a thought, but it hasn`t got those linking plugs or jumpers between the preamp and power amps has it? have they been removed, or has some other piece of kit been disconnected?

Ron

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public address system

the

worth

Unfortunately, I don't fully understand "linking plugs", and never really have fully understood "preamp" vs. "power amp". But, I can say this:

The system(components:tuner, amplifier, headphones) were in use the previous evening ~22:30-23:30, with- out sign of failure. This system has been used daily for

Proceeding to use the system during the subsequent day and, no audio.... I guess something could have wiggled loose, but since I can get this faint audio, and I have done a cursory "reset" of all rear panel attach- ments, I just assume it's gone.

Although this system is only used for 1-2 hour periods at a time, it will sometimes remain on for 24 hour periods.

Although not electronically oriented myself, I have to assume these things have a MTBF. I guess after >10 years of flawless service, my number's up. Additionally, the components are positioned in a very dusty area, and haven't been cleaned since new. Actually, it's no more dusty that any other room, but due to lack of cleaning, it appears very dusty.

IOW. The whole thing is located in a music room, with other instruments and junk(need I say more?).

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
Gary Walker

Separate units like yours are generally easier to fix than integrated units, so this helps. I don't know anything about your model, but my first inclination would be to see if it can be fixed. These items generally are fixable and for much less money than the replacement cost you mention.

The fact that both channels both seem to have died at the same time makes this seem like it might be a simple problem. It might pay to get your friend over there just to check out the system and the switch settings (like the tape monitor that Mark mentioned.)

I agree completely with your other posts that it would all depend on finding someone you think you can trust to take a look at it.

-

Jim Adney

Thanks. I am weaning off the unit for these last few days.

That'll make my diagnosis more thorough.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Walker

That's a good point. It suggests some problem with a section that's common to both channels -- like a power supply.

It might pay to get

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

On the back there may be some connectors labelled Out and In which need to be connected together to make the system work. Can you post a picture of the back somewhere (not in this group please)?

NSM

the

Well yeah, I'm aware of the component plugs on the rear. I'd just never heard them referred to as linking plugs.

Come to think of it, I'd never really known their true description other than RCAplug/Miniplug etc.

With regard to a picture of the rear, no I don't have one, and I have no scanner with which to record the diagram in the hardcopy I do have.

However, I've managed to locate:

which shows the A-RV401 instruction manual. Although it doesn't seem an exact copy of the hardcopy I have, it does have some documentation. But, unlike my hardcopy, I didn't see a simple back panel schematic as is shown in my hardcopy. Perhaps, I just overlooked it.

The diagnostic section occurs on pp.15.

But....

I did overlook/fail to think about/stupidly ignore the diag- nostic section(aka troubleshooting) in either copy. Using the hardcopy manual, and following the procedures for "power but no sound", I see:

Tape monitor on - No, but I do now recall having prob- lems with this in the past when I'd press the wrong butt- on in the dark. Pressing tape2 switches to tape2 input, but merely pressing tuner will not return to tuner, but shows T2 monitor. Another press of tape2 releases the T2 monitor, and returns the faint signal.

Bad connections - Possible, but since I've reset all conn- ections, and I can get the faint audio from all sources( tuner, CD) available, this possibility seems very unlikely.

Amplifier protection circuitry has been activated - I have no clue. The response here is to contact the service cen- ter.

In the online troubleshooting guide, a muting button is described. My unit has no mute button, or I just can't seem to find it. It does have a standby button, and that will disable sound, but it is correctly positioned. Perhaps this standby is synonymous with muting?

Although the online manual indicates that "protect" will be shown if the protective circuitry activation has occ- urred, my hardcopy manual make no mention of this. I assume I have no protect designation.

I did just returned from a closer unit inspection. In the amp view window, where the input source is shown, I do see a "very" small muting word. Review of the online manual pp. 11 describes muting as activated via the remote unit. Well, although I have had the remote connected(I guess it's a remote receiver, because the remote is wireless), not only have I never used the remote, I'm not really sure even where it is. The text suggests that the only way to de-mute is via the remote, or a cycle of the amp's power. I can certainly say that a power cycle on the amp has no effect on this.

Further research on this seems to indicate that the muting function is stuck on. Even after disconnecting the rc cable from the amp(one rc cable connects the tuner to the amp, and the other rc cable connects the tape to the CD), the amp continues to initialize in mute mode. It appears that this is probably the problem, but I'll be damned if I know how to correct it. Perhaps, I'll either have it looked at, or contact Onkyo for assistance(unlikely they'll bother with equipment this old).

Sorry, for the verbosity....

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
Gary Walker

That'll do it. Until you can un mute it you will have no sound.

As for the linking or jumping plugs, this model probably doesn't have them but if you look at the bottom right diagram on page 4 of the A-RV401 manual on a model that _WAS_ designed this way the equalizer jacks would be permanently connected in to out, left to left and right to right with very short cables. Removing these without connecting an equalizer would also cut the sound.

NSM

manual

cut

Thanks, I did find the remote, and will research possibly trying to use it to de-mute, but I don't hold much hope.

I've also sent mail to Onkyo explaining the situation, but don't hold much hope there either.

I'll post my progress as this saga unfolds.

Thank you, and everyone for the assistance and contri- bution(s).

BTW. That "muting" word is very very tiny, meant for eyes much younger than mine.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Walker