Slip clutch felt replacement

Well I've always called it felt but this is worn down to a woven backing that is well glued to the pulley. I suspect it is more pool/snooker table baize material rather than haberdashers felt, but why always white ? some special formulation. Unobtainium full clutch assembly so renovation of what is here. Anyone know how to make neat punch-cut dual concentric cut rings without proper setup. Small central hole ok with normal leather punch ,but outer larger cut? Probably I'll cut the centre hole in some green baize, glue to the remnant backing (or start again stripping of the old ?) , compress as its curing and then cut away outer excess with a scalpel.

Reply to
N_Cook

Look for 'wad punch'

Reply to
Ron Johnson

What make and model is this for? I still have some replacement felt clutches in stock. Either supply the make and model or a size and I'll check stock. I can mail it easily.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices

table

some

what

remnant

and

If I was regularly doing this then yes a set of large diameter punches as well as the small set I already have. Have decided to punch the small centre holes, then glue onto the original surface as no integrity left in the woven remnant matrix. Then an adjustible craft cutting compass , as parallel axis of cutter and centre it will locate easily here, to cut the outer ring. These compasses eg

's/gereedschappen/snijpasser.JPG are great for partially cutting rubber sheet to drive bands. Partial, so to keep the cuts regular and concentric and so build up a large range of bands from one sheet, then finish off the cuts by hand with scalpel , guided by the initial cut.

Reply to
N_Cook

Cutting compass worked well, almost looks a pro job except for the green colour. I suppose only one world supplier of whatever this slip clutch material is. Sorry. I don't know where you get baize from, my source was a pool table repair man working at a pub and was not averse to a drink for the old cloth in his van.

Reply to
N_Cook

It's easily obtained in the US. Buy a Banquet "chicken nugget" frozen meal. The nuggets are indistinguishable from industrial felt washers.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

You owe me a new keyboard!!! :-)

Jonesy

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

I can see how you might come to know what the felt washers taste like, maybe mistaking one for a cookie out of the corner of your eye for example, but I cannot imagine any way you could have tasted a Banquet "chicken" nugget. Just calling the stuff nuggets should have warned you off. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Holding it under the shower should clean it out.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

"Indistinguishable" refers to appearance and texture -- not necessarily taste. Perhaps the time has come to rephrase Arthur C Clarke's famous observation:

"Any sufficiently processed food is indistinguishable from building materials."

Not /all/ Banquet products are gastronomically beyond redemption. Experimentation is useful is one is looking for quick, cheap meals. And let's give Banquet /some/ credit. All their products are made from food-like substances.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I clean a lot of keyboards with household ammonia in a spray bottle. I stand them up, lengthwise and spray a fine mist to soften the crud. Let it stand for a few minutes and repeat. When the crud is gone, I use distilled water to remove the last of the ammonia and let them dry for

24 hours.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So were Twinkies, and I don't eat them either.

Reply to
etpm

At the moment, you not only don't, but can't.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

"Any sufficiently processed food is indistinguishable from building materials."

This is arguably true. A few years back I bought non-fat cream cheese that closely resembled spackling.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Except that spackling probably tastes better, or at least has *some* taste to it.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Peters