What's this called?

Hi, I need to turn off a certain electronic device X hours (3-4) after i start it. I want this to happen automatically, so I need something that goes between the device and the power outlet, which will automatically switch off the juice after X hours, as if the device was unplugged. I want it to be as easy to use as possible, so that there's just some dial or some buttons where I can set the time after which the device is to be turned off. It's running off of north american standard 120 V, 60 Hz, and if the device is turned off reliably there could be a sfatey hazard.

What kind of thing would do the job/what's it called?

Thanks.

Reply to
joto

It's called an "interval countdown timer".

One common sort of timer of this sort mounts in an outlet box, just like a light switch. It has a knob on the front which you can rotate/twist, to set the amount of time during which the circuit should be powered up. A spring-action or electric-motor mechanism returns the knob to its zero position over a period of minutes or hours, and when it reaches zero the power is disconnected.

They're often used to control whirlpool pumps in home spas (check with a pool-and-spa dealer), or to control lighting or ventilation or heating in rooms which are often unused (check with a good electrical contractor, or a good electrical-parts supply store).

makes one series of such timers. You'd want a normally-open version, 0-4 hour, no-hold (KLT-4H) as shown on page

14 of their PDF catalog.

I'm sure that similar devices are available from many manufacturers.

Dave Platt

How about one of the timers that turns your lights on and off so the burgulars things that somebody is home when you aren't there.

Just set it up so there is one off step, and twist the knob so that "now" is 3 or 4 hours before it goes off.

Hal Murray

after i

that

automatically

dial

be

and

I was going to say the same thing. THe cheap Intermatic brand timers are under ten dollars, and they have the red and blue pins that can be inserted at different points around the timer dial. Use just the OFF pin, and set it for 3 AM, for example. Then twist the dial unti it reads 12 AM and flip the on switch. If this procedure is too complicated, then you can use the simpler and much more expensive timer that was mentioned in another followup.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th