Insulating sticky putty removal help please

I've got three buck/boost xmfrs that I recieved used. These have been removed from equipment and I need to change the wiring configuration to suit my needs. There is a big ball of sticky grey putty wrapped around the connection points of the xmfr wires. There is in turn black tape wrapped around the putty. I have been able to remove the tape and most of the putty mechanically but there is enough left that still needs to come off that will prevent a good electrical connection when I re-configure the wiring. Is there a solvent that removes the stuff? Some other method besides just cutting an inch off of the wire? Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

Without knowing who made it and what type number it is usually only leaves mechanical methods. The stuff is formulated to resist UV light, most solvents, oil & gasoline.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The 3M products that I've seen which are used for this purpose seem to be a type of butyl rubber compound which fuses with itself as the layers are wrapped. These 'tapes' are very effective at sealing out moisture while building up a thick insulating layer, and works well when applied over odd-shaped connections.

A similar product (not for electrical insulating) is the butyl caulk ribbon which was commonly used for installing automotive windshields and (stationary) back windows.. rubbery and very sticky when applied to clean surfaces.

A paint prep product such as wax and grease remover (naptha/cigarette lighter fluid) or acetone/lacquer thinner will remove traces left behind after other mechanical methods have removed most of the material. A heated blade tool was commonly used when removing the window-weld product for auto glass replacement because it's fairly stubborn to remove. The acetone or naptha solvents will still likely require a considerable amount of agitation (stiff brush or tough rag).

For electrical connections, most are considered to be permanent during installation so removal generally isn't a consideration.. but applying general purpose vinyl electrical tape over the terminal first, then applying the sealing tape (beyond the vinyl tape) will ensure that the sealer is easier to remove. Covering the butyl sealing tape with vinyl electrical tape is a common practice.

--
Cheers,
WB

 wrote in message
> I've got three buck/boost xmfrs that I recieved used. These have been
> removed from equipment and I need to change the wiring configuration
> to suit my needs. There is a big ball of sticky grey putty wrapped
> around the connection points of the xmfr wires. There is in turn black
> tape wrapped around the putty. I have been able to remove the tape and
> most of the putty mechanically but there is enough left that still
> needs to come off that will prevent a good electrical connection when
> I re-configure the wiring. Is there a solvent that removes the stuff?
> Some other method besides just cutting an inch off of the wire?
> Thanks,
> Eric
Reply to
Wild_Bill

Have you tried locally heating with a soldering iron and excavating with a dart point?

Reply to
N_Cook

You could try Naptha, it dissolves a lot of "things".

Reply to
hrhofmann

The stuff I'm dealing with is some type of putty. I'm familiar with the tapes that seal to themselves, even have some. Acetone doesn't work, tried it already. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Greetings Bob, I tried napthalast night. It barely dissolves the putty. Actually it just softens it to the point that it turns into goo. Maybe some prechlor will liquify the crap. Eric

Reply to
etpm

If natha (Coleman Fuel) works, then one of the stronger chlorinated hydrocarbon solvents should work better. Try: MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) Methylene chloride (furniture stripper)

Duz this goo look familiar? It's used to seal holes in transformer casings. They might have also used it to insulate the leads. It's BPA Diglycidyl Ether, which is an epoxy mix. Methyl chloride should soften it, but it may take a while. (Yes, BPA is the same polycarbonate compound that was ordered removed from drinking bottles in about 2008).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com