Cyclic rattle and squeek in felt slip clutches

As the problem has been around all the decades ,from tape decks reel-to-reel via cassette to VCR, I assume there is no cure other than replace with unobtanium parts. But in case anyone here has any insight. Not a problem of lack of lubrication on shaft or bearings. I suspect , perhaps only micron level of ripple develops on the rubbing surface, anyone know the cause for certain ? If that was the case then a light skim in a lathe perhaps. Is the squuek noise enhanced by the compression spring ? Any known , even if relatively shorterm fixes , not requiring taking apart

Reply to
N_Cook