Sharp LCD projector -- yellow tint?

Guy selling one of these says the projected image is yellow tinted. Says it's the bulb.

Is this right? Or is it more complex, like an issue with the LCD display or other more expensive stuff?

Model XG-NV6XU.

Thanks,

--
DaveC
me@bogusdomain.net

I've heard this is usually caused by an aged polarizing filter....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Take the lamp out and look straight down into the reflector. If you see a discoloration on one side of the reflector or spherical part at the bottom, it could be the lamp. Regardless, a polarizing filter is suspect, and it could be going bad because of the above described problem with the lamp. If you buy it get a service manual and verify that the filter and the blue panel are available and at what price. And buy it cheap. Very cheap.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 14571 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

The lamp ( not bulb ) *is* more expensive stuff, as is any other part in the optical path. Also, service manual needed for optical alignment issues for filters, LCD panels etc after dismantling / replacement. Needs to be very cheap ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

It could be, but it could also be something else and even a new bulb is close to the value of some of the older projectors. Personally I wouldn't pay more for it than I was willing to spend on the parts it contains for experimentation, which is not much.

Reply to
James Sweet

i bet the LCD itself is going bad, at least what I seen in the several I have worked on it. the LCD panel replacement would probably cost more than what that thing is worth.

Take the panasonic PT-L592 for example.

Reply to
Mike

I've had a similar case where the cause was the lamp. Replaced it and the dull yellow image bightened and white showed as white. The seller or his technician may have reset lamp timer without replacing the lamp. Don't believe the "remaining hours" reported and expect an implosion soon if u continue to use the old lamp. Jango

Reply to
deenydeen

Not necessarily. The lamps with the yellowing in the Sharp projectors can last a long time in that state. The problem is that it may have hot spots that will eat the polarizing filter and the blue panel if it has not already.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 14795 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Thus spake snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

Is this something that is simple to diagnose? I mean, upon examination with the naked eye would the lamp, or the LCD, or the polarizer filter show in an obvious way that it is the culprit?

Thanks,

--
DaveC
me@bogusdomain.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Reply to
DaveC

The lamp is simple. The optical path requires significant disassembly then it is simple. The problems are easily visible once you can see the parts.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 14979 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Thus spake Leonard Caillouet:

Thanks, Leonard. This was the determination I was looking for. It will make evaluating the potential purchase easier.

Enjoy,