Sony rear projection TV lamp problems !!

I own a Sony KF-WE42 rear prolection TV I am sad to say. The set is 16 months old, has run for 2600 hrs. and is now on an extended warranty. The lamp has failed,Sony don't want to know and the extended warranty does not cover a new bulb. Sony will not even offer a pro-rata on the price of a new bulb. They say that it should last between 6000 and 8000 hrs. YEAH, RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Kenno24

I discourage our clients from buying any type of rear screen technology, especially the ones that use lamps. The lamps are expensive, and do not always last. Sometimes they will go more than the full rated hours, and at times they will not even get half the rated hours. A lamp is really an unpredictable device. In theory, if the temperature of the lamp is well controlled, and it is not power cycled very often it should last longer.

I personaly would get the set working, and then put it up for sale. Then go and get a good flat panel type TV set that does not use projection technology. The LCD sets should give you at least 50,000 to 60,000 hours before there are any problems. With LCD sets, there will be no lamp changes. With the rear screen sets, by the time the life span of the set is over, you would have spent more than the difference than if you bought a high end flat panel LCD set in the first place.

--

JANA
_____

"Kenno24"  wrote in message
I own a Sony KF-WE42 rear prolection TV I am sad to say. The set is 16
months old, has run for 2600 hrs. and is now on an extended warranty.
The lamp has failed,Sony don't want to know and the extended warranty
does not cover a new bulb. Sony will not even offer a pro-rata on the
price of a new bulb. They say that it should last between 6000 and 8000
hrs. YEAH, RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!
Reply to
JANA

Power cycling is very hard on discharge lamps in general. Metal halide lamps for general illumination are often rated 15K hours @ 10 hours per start. Sports field lamps are normally somewhat higher power, but are normally rated at 3K hours @ 3 hours per start. The warmup cycle puts very high stress on the electrodes.

Reply to
James Sweet

LCD sets _will_ require backlight lamp changes, only less frequently.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.
Reply to
maarten

Do you know anyone who has changed a backlight in a consumer LCD flat panel display? If you do it is a rarity. They are not only very reliable, and likely to outlive many of the other components in the sets, but are usually not available as replacement parts.

Le>> I personaly would get the set working, and then put it up for sale. Then

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 21740 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

You buy a sony and it only works for 2600 hours, huh?

Reply to
Malissa Baldwin