What's wrong w/ my Rear Projection TV?

Hoping somebody might be able to give me an idea of what's wrong (or starting to go wrong) w/ my TV. It's a 6 yr old Hitachi 42 inch rear projection and it has a red ghost image that is really only noticeable when you first power up or when the screen is black (i.e. that little pause when switching from one channel to another). The image seems to go from about 6 inches in on the left side of the screen over to the far right side. That first 6 inches is still black. Also, when you power down, there's a red saucer like image that appears on the left side of the screen and then moves like a UFO over to the right side of the screen before fading. Other than that, it doesn't seem to affect the picture in regards to shows. I guess if there's a really dark scene though, you'd be able to see the ghosting. About a year and a half ago we had a repair guy come out and replace two chips (STK392-110. I kept one of the old ones) when the convergence went nuts. Cost us $500 so we don't want to go through that again. Is there anything I can do or is it time to be prepared to junk it and buy that new plasma I've been wanting? : ) Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Kamchak Tuchuk

check the STK solder joints and also check the yoke plugs on the board and check the whole chassis for cold solder connections...... good luck

starting to go wrong) w/ my TV.

image that is really only

little pause when

inches in on the left