RCA 46" rear projection tv colour problems.

I have a CTC169PK 46" Tv. The screen has primary retrace lines and oscillates like a heart beat? The picture is there, kind of camoflaged behind the retrace. The audio is good. The colour,tint,sharp,brightness, does not function, they appear on the screen but does nothing to adjust the picture. Does this leed me to replacing the U3101 system control IC.Does this IC fully destroy itself or does it just break down section by section, I might even try a new EEPROM? Any suggetions?

Thanx James

Reply to
Karen Ray-Stewart

ESR the filter caps..... Whats the voltage on CR4118 whilst plugged in but not turned on. measure the voltage from the diode to tuner case.

Reply to
kip

ESR? I will do this but the Tv unfortunatly is at a customers place of residence. filter caps? HMMM? that would cause a lot of problems. what should this voltage read? I just don't want to order parts I don't need and cost the costomer more than it is worth.

Thanx James

Reply to
Karen Ray-Stewart

Do a google groups search here for ctc169 and ptk169 and make note of all suggestions. Power supply capacitors and diodes are a common issue, get the locations c4104,c4102,c4108,cr4118, etc and make not of all of them.

There is also a link to download the general ctc169 schematic posted a short while back.

Then look for the luma buffer transistor and plan on replacing it, I think Q2906. Good possibility it failed due to a picture tube arc back, in which case it may fail again.

Very important that the standby B+ voltages, 145V and 15V, are exact or several future failures will be expected soon.

Reply to
dkuhajda

I do those sets in home every week... If you cannot do the basics then chuck it.

Reply to
kip

Come to think of it a bit more James why don't you call in a TV shop and get an estimate of costs. Because it sounds like you don't have a clue.

Reply to
kip

"kip" bravely wrote to "All" (12 Aug 05 08:59:19) --- on the heady topic of "Re: RCA 46" rear projection tv colour problems."

ki> Reply-To: "kip" ki> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:339536

ki> Come to think of it a bit more James why don't you ki> call in a TV shop and get an estimate of costs. ki> Because it sounds like you don't have a clue.

Don't make fun of the newbies! It only tires us and annoys them. Teach them something good instead. If you fill their brains with good stuff there won't be any room left for the bad...

A*s*i*m*o*v

... Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well.

Reply to
Asimov