recycling tv's etc.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There were several overhead projectors thrown in the dumpster behind a branch of my city's public library last week. No one in the school or library system has any use for them. I assume that they made no effort whatsoever to find them a good home. I doubt that they even thought of offering them on Freecycle. If they had, though, it's possible that whoever took them would turn around and place them on eBay.

Reply to
Beloved Leader

Apparently, some people would see that end result as a bad thing. For myself, I can't quite figure out why.

Reply to
Goedjn

Lead Poisoning and Rome

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Gee, thanks -- I guess - for filling up the little free time I have! Great article.

That Encyclopedia Romana looks so fascinating, I want to follow each link!

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

Thanks also for this link.

Reply to
aspasia

Chuckle. I resemble that remark, or at least my house does. It runs in my family- when my grandpa passed, it took us a month to empty the basement.

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers

That's a fine story, but it refers to a lead compound, deliberately introduced to a foodstuff that the Romans were consuming, not to lead pipes dissolving as a result of drinking water passing through them ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

This is a better reasoned piece ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Got to wondering whether -- with all this encyclopediac (pun intended) talk about whether the pipes were earthen or lead -- hasn't there been any serious archeology, digging up said pipes for analysis?

Reply to
aspasia

That's an interesting point. I'm sure that someone will find some. I'm almost willing to bet that any such pipes turned up, would be nearly as good as the day they were buried. I'm going away for a couple of weeks in a day or two, but I'll flag the thread, and have a look when I get back ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I'm sure the locals would have dug them up a thousand years ago. After all, they stripped the pyramids and Stonehenge.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Lead free solder! Does this mean I have to stock up on leaded solder, for my own use?

Remove NOPSAM to email me..

Reply to
mm

Turns out, from some sites I saw a few months back and am too lazy to look up, a lot of the stuff gets sent to third world countries where, as usual, badly paid and often underage workers get to snarf up lots of heavy metals and assorted other toxins in order to disassemble the crap to reclaim the 30 cents of gold plating on the contacts, or some such. So goeth the world.

Absolutely ! Home use for non-commercial reasons, is not subject to the diktats of the lead-free solder eco-police ... Commercial items originally constructed with leaded solder, need not be - and indeed *should* not be - repaired using lead-free. Go for it fella !!

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

snipped-for-privacy@att.net spake thus:

I've decided the goal in life should be to have as much crap and unfinished projects around when you die.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Hey David

I wonder what it is that causes us to abandon projects without finishing them? My shop is full of half done designs and modifications that seemed like the most important thing in the world when I started them ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Arfa Daily spake thus:

Short attention span.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

The realisation that Mt Everest is not an afternoon's walk.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

But that means they should still be selling it a few places, probably at a higher price, for use at home. Right?

It's hard to know how much is needed to stock up. It's getting hard to buy double edge razor blades. Not twin edge, but the standard double edge for the standard safety razor that's been in use for 60 to

100 years. So I just bought over the internet 200 for 20$. It's especially hard to say how long that will last, because I haven't shaved for 10 years except my neck, and sometimes not even that. But if I lose enough weight, I'm going to take off my beard, and who knows how long I'll live or how many blades I'll need each year?

Remove NOPSAM to email me..

Reply to
mm