SII9993 Data sheet

Does anyone know where I can find the full data sheet for the Silicon Image SII9993CTG100 HDMI receiver IC? All Silicon image has on their web site is a 2 page description, not the full data sheet. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Andy Cuffe wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

FWIW, it says on that site to contact local sales rep for datasheets. They also have a "Find a local sales contact" hyperlink on that page.

Reply to
propman

I'll give them a try, but it's unlikely that anyone official will be willing to give me the data sheet due to DRM concerns.

I saved the hdmi receiver board from a scrap TV and I would like to use it to built a DVI-D to RGB converter. The chip is capable of doing this (hdmi uses DVI signaling), but I need to know how to control it over the serial I/O bus before it will do anything. It's probably just a matter of giving it a few commands to tell it what to do. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

No one at Silicon Image, or their sales reps is willing to give me a data sheet. Does anyone have any other ideas? Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Andy Cuffe wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Don't know if you can get just the data sheet but you might want to check out the following site:

Reply to
propman

Thanks for the tip, but that's a paid web site and I doubt they have a full data sheet. It seems like it's impossible to find. Silicon Image got back to me talking about lawyers and NDAs.

It looks like it's now illegal to know how the things you own work... Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Andy Cuffe wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Unreal! Makes a person wonder........

Hmmmmm......wonder if a gentle hint about "new technology" and "NDA's" in one of the asian electronic forums would produce any results? ;-)

Reply to
propman

We can thank our Asian friends for this. A friend of mine who worked at NS told me of an incident where a Chinese company copied the design of at least 3 NS IC's by acquiring their data sheets and engineering docs. They were signal processing ICs. In the ongoing investigation, NS found out that the information came from their online data sheets. He would not go into details because the investigation is still going on and related legal wrangling...

I am looking for the fallout from this being that it may infact be almost impossible to get datasheets, or ones that don't go into the architecture of the chips. Interesting, we set up foundries, educate, and get out lunch taken away!

John

Reply to
John Hudak

I'm blaming Hollywood for this. They are afraid that people will use these ICs to steal HD movies.

There was a recent thread about how more and more TVs are being booby trapped to try to prevent people from getting inside and finding the decrypted video signals. They're doing this so they can tell the Hollywood lawyers that they made every effort to make their sets tamperproof when they do get sued after someone modifies a TV to steal movies. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

John Hudak wrote in news:eho2cv$3uq$1 @usenet02.sei.cmu.edu:

For things like an HDMI chip, also blame the MPAA et al. Or, by extension, blame content pirates for "forcing" the MPAAs hands for requiring HDMI.

Reply to
Gary Tait