RCA D52W20 Limited to DVI Input

Hi,

I have an RCA D52W20 rear-projection HDTV monitor that was purchased July 2005 (about 1.5 years old). This TV gets a lot of use, averaging maybe 4-5 hours a day from three roommates. We have a number of components connected to the box:

- Scientific Atlanta DVR connected via DVI cable + inline HDMI adapter

- A number of video game systems connected to one of the composite inputs via an external switch box

- A DVD player connected to Component 1

- A Playstation 2 connected to Component 2

- We use a low-end Sony receiver set up for all audio, no audio goes through the TV.

THE PROBLEM: We noticed about 3 months ago that on all inputs

*besides DVI*, after a few minutes of being on, the set would emit a very high frequency "squeal" or "whine" for a few minutes, and while it was doing so, would distort the screen by stretching horizontally slightly. After a few minutes this would go away and the sound would stop and the picture would go back to normal. At first, we just attributed it to voltage spikes or something and never thought of it because we almost always use the DVI input, and only occasionally will watch a DVD on the weekends or something.

About 2 months ago, the problem became worse - we noticed that once the squealing started, it would sometimes not stop for several hours. Also, it appeared to be getting louder.

Now, the sound on any input besides DVI starts immediately, and is horrifically loud. Obviously this renders those inputs useless until it is repaired, and now we are concerned that this problem will eventually effect the DVI input as well. We are also concerned that whatever is causing this problem is probably also causing irreparable damage to other parts of the TV.

TROUBLESHOOTING: We already tried disconnecting all of the inputs from the TV and testing each mode. The sound goes away for all inputs when nothing is connected, but when an input is connected (say, the DVD player) and is powered on, the sound immediately returns. We also replaced our surge protector as a cautionary measure as well to no avail.

Any guesses as to where the problem might lie, so that a call to a repairshop might be successful? Thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to give.

Reply to
kevinmmccormick

Most likely one of the power supply units is failing in the set. It will need proper service. These sets are usually serviced at the modular level.

--

JANA _____

[...]

JANA

Thanks for the help so far, I'm just trying to look out for some key terms so that when I call the repair shop I have as much background as possible to save time and money by avoiding incorrect diagnoses. We're on a fourth floor walk-up so it is almost a requirement that any repair take place on-site so we already anticipate a significant cost for any repair if possible. Really appreciate the input :-)

Reply to
kevinmmccormick