RCA D52W20 flashing black to white horizontal snow

The reason for my post is not as much in finding a fix for the problem as it is in determining if the TV is worth repairing. I have had it for about 2 years and am now experiencing the issue of the picture randomly flashing from black to horizontal snow/stretched white lines. Its not snow like you typically see when the TV has no signal, but it is close. When I change to an input that has no signal and bring up the menu it's also wavy in vary speeds. I have tried using different inputs, and hooking the cable line directly to the TV and all methods still end up with the same issue. I have also experienced the problem when watching DVDs but the problem occurs much much less frequently, if at all.

First impulse may be to say it's the TV signal, but the issue does occur during DVD playback. It also continues to do it even if all video/audio sources are turned off. The last time it occurred I noticed all the guns/bulbs flashing off and on in their respective colors at the same time. There is no problem with the audio and the picture is perfectly normal when it's not experiencing the issue. I made no changes to any settings or dials or anything, nothing was spilled on it and to my knowledge the TV wasn't even moved or looked at the wrong way. All of my research has turned up nothing of a similar problem occurring to anyone else. I did read a lot about a TV on/off problem that was common but my green on light stays on the whole time. My best guess is that there is something wrong with the convergence part of the TV.

I took down all the numbers, but left them at home. I believe the chassis number was ITC222, but all the online references to the model number say it's ATC???, it definitely ended in 222 though.

Thanks for any advice, the best I've deemed so far was that I shouldn't have bought RCA to start with.

Jenson

Reply to
nogoer

Thanks Art for taking time to offer a suggestion.

I did try changing to an rca style cable last night, the kind with yellow/red/white. When i did so the TV never went to the black/white flashing. However it did randomly start going wavy with a purple tint to the waves. Its kind of hard to describe exactly what was happening, but it seemed to be a result of the same thing that caused the snowy effect. I guess at the higher resolution of the hd cable signal it was enough to knock the picture completely out. Then at the non-hd signal its only enough to knock it out of convergence or something. It also seemed to be of vary degrees of wavyness depending on the colors in the picture. It was worst when the picture was predominantly black and less noticeable when there were lots of color.

Thanks again Jenson

Reply to
nogoer